Holly Hedge, bare bottom!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a mature variegated Holly hedge, 5' tall, 4-5' thick, 10' run, 8 plants with 10cm trunks that sits along a path on a main road. From the south facing road side the bottom 20" has some straggly cover but looks just about ok, from the other side it's pretty bare.

The dilemma is thus....do we cut away and tidy the bottom section and have a hedge on 'stilts', or try to plant some new bushes in the limited spaces between the existing mature plants or will we likely be facing a losing battle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Tarquin . Welcome to the forums, That is a dilemma! Having given it a little thought, I might be tempted to lift the canopy so that it's on 'stilts' and then put a short fence along the bottom on the road side. If passing dogs pee on the fence it won't be good, but it won't kill the fence. On the garden side you might find that your newly shaped holly 'trees' look quite trendy. ☺️
1711888371349.png
1711888436259.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Tarquin . Welcome to the forums, That is a dilemma! Having given it a little thought, I might be tempted to lift the canopy so that it's on 'stilts' and then put a short fence along the bottom on the road side. If passing dogs pee on the fence it won't be good, but it won't kill the fence. On the garden side you might find that your newly shaped holly 'trees' look quite trendy. ☺️View attachment 102370 View attachment 102371
Many thanks.....yes, I think we've a way to go to get quite as trendy as shown in your pics, but certainly food for thought.:cool:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had similar problems with other shrubs that get messy at the bottom, and have lifted the canopy a few times now. Generally, in my rather big garden it has had a more pleasing effect than I thought it would. I have found since that wild flowers have started to appear as the light gets through - like violets and primroses. I have really liked the results.
Another option of course would be to take the holly out altogether and plant something else. Griselinia is a good one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks....but taking it out has been considered and is not a favoured option as the hedge sits just 6' from our front window and provides cover from passers by looking straight in.

I'm thinking, raise the canopy and see what grows underneath for now but with a view to putting a small fence or some sleepers at the base to hold back the Autumn leaves from several huge trees over the road!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rather think that it will be wild or tough stuff that will do best under the hedge. Depending on how much light you achieve, you should get sedums to do well. Holly that is well matured makes a fair bit of root, and will want most of the moisture from the rainfall. Houseleeks (sempervivums) are a good possibility too.
It would be great to see a picture of the job when you've got it all done. 🙂 please.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My experience with holly is that you can take it right back and it will regrow, like privet or lonicera, though I have never done it with bushes that mature , or with a variegated one. Have a check. If it would survive being taken down to ground level, and I think it would, it would grow back from the existing root system much quicker than planting anew and you could prune it to not be so wide, but give cover at the base.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a bad idea Oliver, but it would leave them a long while with passers by gawping through their front window. :unsure:

Ask a Question