Hi! I'm new here and need some NPK help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Wish I had seen this earlier. Living in Ct you can make use of service provided by Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station to get soil tested for various things and they will make suggestions on what to add , including organic if asked for. Price of $0 for service works for me :) . Follow the link and click here and there for info beyond first page.

Ct Ag Experiment station

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perfect!!!!! I was looking for the co-op extension office and only found one on Asylum Ave in Hartford. I wasn't in the mood to drive out there but Windsor is the next town over from me, more or less. I'll give them a try. This will also give me a chance to see how accurate my soil test kit is. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Perfect!!!!! I was looking for the co-op extension office and only found one on Asylum Ave in Hartford. I wasn't in the mood to drive out there but Windsor is the next town over from me, more or less. I'll give them a try. This will also give me a chance to see how accurate my soil test kit is. Thanks!

The only trouble you should have is they want pretty dry soil, maybe sometime in June :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'll bring some in and dry it in the house, if I wait for dry weather around here............. :)
If they are running a financially deficit office, then it makes perfect sense. A major measure of soil is organic matter. This is not a measure of water content. Normally, the samples would be dried and not suprisingly thatis usually gas electric energy, preparation money for which is a primary expense. All you need to understand is that to dry your sample, you do not want to oxidize the carbon content, so whether you use your truck bed or oven, sub 175 ftemps are probably fine. The idea of a ruined steak or a dehydrated meat comes to mind temperature wise. Once the moisture content is appropriately low, they will measure its mass. Then they willburn it out and weigh it again. The difference is organic matter mass as a percentage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they are running a financially deficit office, then it makes perfect sense. A major measure of soil is organic matter. This is not a measure of water content. Normally, the samples would be dried and not suprisingly thatis usually gas electric energy, preparation money for which is a primary expense. All you need to understand is that to dry your sample, you do not want to oxidize the carbon content, so whether you use your truck bed or oven, sub 175 ftemps are probably fine. The idea of a ruined steak or a dehydrated meat comes to mind temperature wise. Once the moisture content is appropriately low, they will measure its mass. Then they willburn it out and weigh it again. The difference is organic matter mass as a percentage.
I just brought some in he house and left it by the radiator. No rush, i spread it out and it's already almost dry.

Ask a Question