Hello All! I'm new around here.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Just signed up. Wanted to meet you all as I hope to be around here a while. A little about me: I have always loved flowers, gardens. I have half-heartedly tried here and there to cultivate small gardens, but have always bitten off more than I can chew and/ or just gotten overwhelmed. My son actually wanted a Venus fly trap and then a small cactus, which I have been helping him with. I then purchased a hearty yellow rose bush and petunia hanger plant and that is enough responsibility for now! But now, I'm really thinking and hoping that I can do this! Even if it is just a few flowers here and there. At the crack of dawn this morning, I found myself pulling weeds and pruning bushes almost without thinking. A beautiful angel statue looks over my modest "flower patch". I'm sort of flying blind, so I hope you all can help guide me along the way! Also, three of my neighbors have been stepping it up with beautiful palms, shrubbery, and even rock gardens. I would like to be a little different and grow lots of full-colored blooms in my yard! Lastly, my son told me he dreams of a beautiful veggie garden in our back yard where he can "grow his own food." He is only 7! He was so excited! At first I almost said no, that we couldn't do that/ that I didn't know how. But I did not. And as I thought about it more, I got excited too. Maybe we could achieve that, even if on a small scale. Anyway, I digress. All garden tips appreciated! Looking forward to learning here!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums HollyBerry. :) Start small so that the garden doesn't overwhelm you, perhaps with just one reasonably sized flower bed. Visit garden centres and nurseries to see what type of plants you like and find out whether they are suitable for your climate and soil. I see you already have a rose, possibly one of the most difficult plants to care for, but if that is thriving you are well on the way to nurturing other plants.

It's good to hear your young son is interested in growing too and you could dig out a small patch for him to grow some easy vegetables to start with. Everyone here will be willing to help you along the way. Enjoy your garden! (y)

Reaction score
Hello there, berry :) Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay and find the forum very useful to you :) We got some really knowledgeable members here, so if you got any questions please don't hesitate to create your own thread. Best of luck with your gardening projects, your little boy sounds like a really smart and charming little young man, kudos to both of you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome @HollyBerry! Sounds like you live someplace you can grow year around and it's fantastic that your son wants to grow vegetables. Summer squash are easy and grow so fast. So are pole beans and tomatoes, although tomatoes aren't as bomb-proof as some other veggies and are susceptible to some diseases but you can't go wrong with planting a few.

I agree with starting small and adding and learning as you go. Love your idea of lots of flowers (especially since they'll attract birds and butterflies and pees - we need to keep pollinators happy!) Go to a garden center, not a big box store and wander around. I've found that many people working at local garden centers are sort of plant nerds and happy to share wisdom too.

Hope to see pictures of your garden soon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's great to hear your son is so inspired by the gardening bug! It's always good to start them early ;) Welcome to the forum! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
WP_20150717_11_33_38_Pro.jpg
WP_20150717_11_33_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20150717_11_34_12_Pro.jpg
WP_20150717_11_34_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20150717_11_35_21_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Our Garden , 2015, humble beginnings...
Really nice HolyBerry. Welcome. I'm not the best on veggies but I have found cherry tomatoes easy to grow and my friends grandchildren love to pick them fresh so that could be a good starter for the development of your sons green thumb:D

Ask a Question