Hi from UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! I've not long moved into a new house and I can see that I'll have to get more familiar with gardening, so hoping I can pick up some tips and tricks here. Look forward to speaking to you.
Nicky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Nicky, welcome to the forum.
When you say a 'New House' is that new to you, or actually a new build? The latter can be a pain sometimes, with builders rubble and sub soil dumped in the 'garden'. How big is your patch, and what is on it so far ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Nicky, welcome to the forum.
When you say a 'New House' is that new to you, or actually a new build? The latter can be a pain sometimes, with builders rubble and sub soil dumped in the 'garden'. How big is your patch, and what is on it so far ?
Hi Oliver. New to me. The house itself is about 150 years old (a mining terrace in south Wales). The garden's a on a sharp slope up, with a few established trees going up one side and leylandii up the other (which is just as well, given the amount of moisture we get here!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which way does the slope face? South, joy; North, difficult. Secondly what holds it together, grass? Be very careful disturbing whatever it is, or all that 'moisture' may well carry all the good stuff in your garden to the bottom of the hill. Don't let the leylandi get away from you, they can get very big very quickly. Have you worked out what the established trees are? Even if they are things you decide you don't want in the long term be careful getting rid of them, their root systems will be doing good work holding the slope together.
The nice thing about a terrace is that you can have a good nose at what your neighbours are growing and what does well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which way does the slope face? South, joy; North, difficult. Secondly what holds it together, grass? Be very careful disturbing whatever it is, or all that 'moisture' may well carry all the good stuff in your garden to the bottom of the hill. Don't let the leylandi get away from you, they can get very big very quickly. Have you worked out what the established trees are? Even if they are things you decide you don't want in the long term be careful getting rid of them, their root systems will be doing good work holding the slope together.
The nice thing about a terrace is that you can have a good nose at what your neighbours are growing and what does well.
The slope is facing East but because of the high elevation, it's above the level of the roof and in sun almost all day. (The catch being, it's Wales, so rarely sunny! :LOL:)

I've already cut the leylandi down from about 20 foot when I moved in, to 8ft. I know they shoot up fast. No intention of removing them though.

Apart from a cherry tree and several bushes - rose, camelia - I've not worked out what the other trees are. They look Japanese style to me, with lots of tiny leaves in bunches. I'll try and post a pic when I get a moment. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burvs

Latest Threads