Hi from France!

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't know much about gardening, so I hope you guys can help.
I've got a bush which has grown much too large, like 2 m high and the same wide, and I wonder whether cutting it back to half the size would be OK, or would just kill it?
Thanks for your help.
PS: don't ask me what the thing is 'cos I've got no idea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without any idea what it is ... who knows? Some things like privet you can cut down to the ground and they come back, some it would kill cutting back to half size, some it would just leave a strange shape.
Can you post a picture? It would help if you showed the leaves as well as the overall bush. I expect someone can identify it for you.

Reaction score
Country
France
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I am none the wiser, hopefully someone will tell us what it is. The type of leaves and manner of growth would make me hopeful it might take it. The other thing about knowing what it is is that it would also tell you when to do it. Rule of thumb is 'After flowering', but it doesn't look as though it is grown for flowers. It is quite something.

If no-one comes back with identification the other possibility is to try and strike some cuttings over winter, then if they take you at least have a replacement if it doesn't survive the process, but hang on a bit, there is a good chance someone has one just like it and can give us a positive id.

Reaction score
Country
France
It produces white flowers once a year, is all I can tell you. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. Could be a choisya. Is it perfumed? Not just the flowers, but the leaves too if you bruise them. People often grow it where it will be brushed against as you walk past because of that, and it can be quite a big bully of a plant. They will take cutting back, but this is quite a good guide (If it is that) https://choisya.com/how-to-prune-choisya

Reaction score
Country
France
Hmm. Could be a choisya. Is it perfumed? Not just the flowers, but the leaves too if you bruise them. People often grow it where it will be brushed against as you walk past because of that, and it can be quite a big bully of a plant. They will take cutting back, but this is quite a good guide (If it is that) https://choisya.com/how-to-prune-choisy
I'm not sure I'd call it a perfume, more like a stink!
Thanks for the guide.:)

Ask a Question