Howdy from France

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Hello,
I'm Nazmi, living in Normandy in the north-western of France, student, 16.

My family grows paper-trees and hazelnuts in Turkey and I did some experiments this year, some Potatoes, Peppers, Sugarcanes, Cherry pepper (the spice), and Mangoes (almost all ruined because of fungis and the equivalent of fungus gnats in France (they seemed a bit different than the ones I saw on photographs in internet)).
Here is a timelapse of my first mango tree (in January-February 2015)

So I'm here to learn and maybe be helpful (I'm planning to make an automated plant nurse for next year because it's difficult for me to control all the parameters by myself (Humidity, Air, Watering, Light, ...) so maybe the project will interest some people who could complete where I could be wrong (but that's not the subject of this post).

Hello to all of you and I hope I'll learn a lot of stuff in here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Hey, Planted on the 6 of January 2015, came out on the 24 at night (started the timelapse one or two days later), time lapse stopped on the eight of February (2015), one image per hour (316 in the end but some hours more because I accidentaly blocked the cam for an afternoon)
so about 2 weeks under an led lamp+sunlight, watered with mineral water and potting mix= sterilized seedling mix

Thanks for your welcomes and for me it'll be a bonsoir à tous (in France it's almost 8.PM :p )

Well, I'll post my first "real" post, a question about my mango trees which are not in great condition these days...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey @Nazmi Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you're going to have a great time in here. These people are very nice and you will learn so many new things. That time-lapse video with the mango tree was super and I think that was an amazing intro on you part. Looking forward to seeing some more things you're working on. BTW I hope the mangoes bounce back and you get some good ones when they start bearing fruit. All the best for the holidays too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Thanks, I hope so, thanks for the holdays, I hope the fruits too (apparently in 6-7 years but my "trees" are sick actually so I'm worried)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Hi there and welcome to the forums! Mangoes are something I would love to grow, but I just don't have the climate for it here! They are super expensive in Japan too, since I guess they all have to be imported from elsewhere. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your gardening and growing adventures! :)

Reaction score
Hi there! I really enjoyed your video, I can tell you are truly passionate about gardening, and that is something really great to see in someone as young as you are. Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
apparently the tab where I was typing my response is gone :confused:
I belive I wrote:
Thanks for your welcome again

@Amelia:Thanks, I don't have a warm climate either (I do them indoors), how much are they sold in Japan ? In France it's about 3-4€ (a bit less than 5$) which is also a bit pricey...

@Trellum: Thanks too, I'm happy people enjoy this vid (even though the image quality wasn't that good (next year, I'll go for a 1080p and a lamp that starts a few seconds before the shot, and also constant colors)

about mangoes, they seem very easy to grow (3 tries, 3 came out, 2 survived (one died because of me being away and my grandmother who forgot about the crop which stayed under a sofa :cry:however it did survive for a while once found back but eventually, it died), anyway once you get your hands on the little wood chunk that contains the seed (a giant bean), you're almost assured of having a plant.

I'll post about the ill mangoes tomorrow (too tired to do anything) and it's almost 2AM :whistle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Thank you, it grew pretty fast, and beacuse of me switching the lamp from one side to another (to prevent it to bend to the light, it did swing like that :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
France
Merci, I feel like homel like when Pat said "Bonjour", I'm happy to be in a such welcoming forum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Great Video Nazmi Better than Christmas TV:) Welcome to the forum & good luck with the Mango's & I vary much Hope you can get some good advice to help them Babies out

Ask a Question