Hi, Broken rake here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The USDA Climate Zone system is used internationally, and Shropshire is Zone 8 (10º to 20ºF /-12º to -6º C). Of course it is important to remember that the USDA Zones only measure one factor, minimum annual temperature. Other factors such as high temperature and average wind and humidity levels are not considered. The USDA Zones can be used globally as long as one remembers they are only useful in determining cold hardiness.

Of course, there are other classifications: The Royal Horticultural Society does have an equivalent system ranging from H1 to H7. Australia and Canada do have other systems. Canada's is complexly multi-factorial, as are the Sunset Magazine Climate Zones which were developed for western North America. The American Horticultural Society has developed a Heat Zone classification that calculates the number of days when temperatures exceed 86 °F/30 °C. None of these are widely used internationally, though that could be done.
Personally I am glad you mentioned the Sunset zones. Some of that effort is really useful to me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
your name is broken-rake. and I thought...
Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy lately.

Yes, I understand, you thought I had broken my rake and was looking for advice on how to fix it. Fortunately that wasn’t the case and my rake is fine.

My name comes from my affinity for red Indians, as in “running bear” or “white cloud”, etc. My favourite western film is Broken Arrow so to link it with gardening, it became Broken rake.

I’m glad you mentioned it, as it probably needed explaining. Are you going to tell us about your delightful bags?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Learned what an allotment is many years ago from another UK garden forum. Had to really think on it. as none of that are here in the USA. however, recently, I spoke to a pastor who's church lies on a huge empty acres of land, only mowed. So said to him why not start a church community veggie garden. Some folks only live in apartments with no land. That would help with veggie cost ect. He's chewing on it. But this area also has a ton of Amish so we have veggie stands every where.

and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How’s the planting going folks?

Not having much luck myself, most of the things I planted, didn’t do too well. Soil quality, I think was the main reason.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, what did you plant and when? Are you re refering to your vegetable garden from last season?

Ask a Question