Hey Everyone, I'm Nigel!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

I'm Nigel, and I've just joined this forum. I've always been into gardening and plants, and recently, I decided to dive deeper into the world of landscaping. It's super cool to think about how we can design and change outdoor spaces to make them look awesome.

I've done a bit of gardening in my backyard, but I'm still learning. I'm hoping to pick up some tips and tricks from all of you experienced folks here. And as I learn more, I'll definitely share my own experiences and discoveries.

If there are any cool threads or topics that you think a newbie like me should check out, please point me in the right direction.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Nigel. Welcome to the forum
My main tip would be get the soil in good condition, but without knowing more it is hard to be particular. For example I have been sorting the results of my latest bonfire. I am on heavy clay here and as I hoe I pick up the lumps that won't break up, and they all go in the fire where they are converted into a sort of rough terracotta. I break up the big lumps and am left with a mixture of wood ash and a sort of porous sand, great for adding to the soil, but only because I am on clay, though wood ash is a good additive generally.
Talking of landscaping makes me think you are more into floral than veg. but I reckon everyone should have a few tomatoes at least, and my missus has red cabbage and broccoli in amongst her flowers, home grown veg mostly have so much more taste. For example I don't have enough land to grow main crop potatoes, and they are cheap, but I always grow a few new potatoes, just for the flavour.
The next couple of months is the time to get your land turned over, then the winter weather will break it down so it is easily prepared for sowing come Spring.
Looking to see you around the place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Bonjour, Nigel! I do a lot of flower planting for yard customers. Do you plant perennials? Do you plant annuals? :geek:

Ask a Question