Hey Chuck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't remember which thread we were discussing pressure cookers but here's a picture

First is the weight (on left) that came with the lid using a gauge third is the weight that substitute for the one piece weight.

Attachments

• 20230703_131358.jpg
    20230703_131358.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230703_131402.jpg
    20230703_131402.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230703_131409.jpg
    20230703_131409.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't remember which thread we were discussing pressure cookers but here's a picture

First is the weight (on left) that came with the lid using a gauge third is the weight that substitute for the one piece weight.
Yeah, I got one and it fits the vent. I just did a bunch of pints of pinto beans.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is the big knob that says "Presto" for? Mine don't have that nor have I ever saw that contraption before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the big knob that says "Presto" for? Mine don't have that nor have I ever saw that contraption before.
That is the standard 15lb weight that came with the pot. The one to the right of the gauge is the new one that is 5-10-15 lbs weight and it is on the vent. With the new weight you don't have to keep adjusting the heat on your stove if the recipe calls for 10 lbs pressure for 30 minutes. Just turn up the heat and forget. It will not get above 10 lbs. Works just like the Mirro except it has a gauge too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is the standard 15lb weight that came with the pot. The one to the right of the gauge is the new one that is 5-10-15 lbs weight and it is on the vent. With the new weight you don't have to keep adjusting the heat on your stove if the recipe calls for 10 lbs pressure for 30 minutes. Just turn up the heat and forget. It will not get above 10 lbs. Works just like the Mirro except it has a gauge too
So if the big one on the left is set at 15 lbs, it won't or shouldn't get over 15 lbs even if you weight it for 5 or 10 lbs. A fail safe of some sorts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So if the big one on the left is set at 15 lbs, it won't or shouldn't get over 15 lbs even if you weight it for 5 or 10 lbs. A fail safe of some sorts?
In the 3rd picture it shows the adjustable weight and it is on the vent. There is only one vent. You can set this weight at 5-10-15 lbs. In the first picture the weight is the 15 lb weight that comes with the pot. It is just placed there for the picture and is not doing anything. When using the 15 lb weight and the receipe calls for 10 lbs you must use the gauge AND your stove to achieve the 10 lbs desired. Nothing is canned at over 15 lbs and the 15 lb weight acts as a safety device plus it ensures that if your recipe calls for 15 lbs it will stay at 15 lbs.. The canner cannot get over 15 lbs no matter how high the heat on the stove is unless the vent is somehow plugged up. The only time a vent can become plugged is when you are cooking something and cannot become plugged up by canning. IF the vent becomes plugged while cooking something, there is a safety valve made out of something like black rubber that will blow and release the pressure. I have been canning my entire life and have never cooked anything in a pressure canner/cooker..................yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My canner has only 1 vent. Does yours have 2?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My canner is this Presto which has 1 vent. Mine is over 10-12 years old and only has the adjustable regulator (5-10-15 lbs). I don't understand why you are calling the 3 piece regulator new. You remove a piece of the regulator to go to 10 lbs or two pieces to go to 5 lbs. I know they made some with gauges (not really needed) but I still cant figure out what the thing that says "Presto" is doing. I feel like I'm standing under a helicopter with the rotor blades going over my head at this point. Hehe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok I see now. I was so concerned that I had to download a user manual. You dont use the 3 piece regulator with the gauge. That "Presto thing" regulaor is 15 lbs only and you just go by the gauge for 5 or 10 or even 15 lbs. Not sure why the pic or the canner came with both types of regulators though. Anyways if you have two horses pull you through the mud, then you will probably be pooped on twice as much. My theory anyways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok I see now. I was so concerned that I had to download a user manual. You dont use the 3 piece regulator with the gauge. That "Presto thing" regulaor is 15 lbs only and you just go by the gauge for 5 or 10 or even 15 lbs. Not sure why the pic or the canner came with both types of regulators though. Anyways if you have two horses pull you through the mud, then you will probably be pooped on twice as much. My theory anyways.
I am absolutely certain your theory is correct. Sorry I couldn't explain it better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The knobs that says Presto is the weight that came with this canner, non adjustable 15 pounds. The 3rd picture is the adjustable weight, add or remove rings to set the desired pressure. The adjustable one is on the vent, the other is just taking up space in the picture.

As Chuck points out, the gauge is for maintaining pressure under 15 pounds if one continues to use the non adjustable weight. With the adjustable weight the gauge is superfluous.

This particular canner only had the non adjustable weight, I located a replacement adjustable one and use it instead.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... Anyways if you have two horses pull you through the mud, then you will probably be pooped on twice as much. My theory anyways.
LOL, never heard that one before. Great theory!

Ask a Question