Help with Weeping Willow

Reaction score
I have a weeping willow tree. Every spring after it sprouts its new leaves, they get some kind of blight and shrivel up and die. Later on into the season the newer leaves on the top are fine. But many of the branches underneath where the blight is die and never recover.
I tried sulfur spray last year with no effects at all.
Anyone have any ideas what this is and how to get rid of it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the curly willow and the strawberries and cream willow and have not had any thing like that .But worried about my strawberries and cream one a mole chewed some of the roots apart and not sure how to stop it .

Reaction score
My next door neighbor has two corkscrew willows and I have never seen any signs of disease. They are very easy to reproduce, take a cutting stick it in water for a few weeks and then stick in the dirt and you have a tree. Can't get much easier than that.

j.w

Reaction score
You can also cut the twigs off the willow trees and chop them up and simmer them on the stove and use the liquid as a hormone to start other plants with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can do the same thing with the strawberries and cream one .I know there is a real name for it but that is all it said on the tag

j.w

Reaction score
Yep you can do it w/ any of the willow trees. Here's a step by step way to do it:

If you run out of rooting hormone, are in a pinch for money or just like to experiment and try new things you can make your own rooting liquid.
Find a willow tree or shrub. Any variety of willow (salix) will do. Just don’t trim the bush in your neighbor’s front yard. Select fresh twigs what are ¼ inch thick. I cut the willow twigs into three to four inch pieces with clippers.
You will need two cups of clippings to make a one-gallon batch of willow bark rooting hormone. The next step is to place the willow clippings into a large container. I use an old enamelware pot I picked up at the sale.
Cover the clippings with one gallon of boiling hot water. Let the mixture brew overnight. This releases a natural chemical in the willow called IBA (indolebutyric acid), which is a natural growth regulator. Store the willow bark rooting hormone in the refrigerator the next day in a clear glass container with a tight lid. I use a canning jar.
To use soak tip cuttings into the willow bark rooting hormone overnight prior to planting in soil. The IBA infuses into the bark and stems encouraging rooting. It also inhibits fungus, bacteria and viral disease.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat thanks jw, I am not sure where to find willows here except the ones in peoples yards.

j.w

Reaction score
That's what darkness is for addy................sneak a bit from the neighbors trees,lol! Or just ask them for a few twigs. Willows can take a nice pruning now and then.

Ask a Question