Help with Echium Pininana!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have in my garden a Echium Pininana, an exotic tree that I believe is biennial. It's a huge beast, about 12ft (approx 3.5m). We have only lived in our home since February so we have inherited it. I think its just had its second year and it now looks like it has now died off.

Does anybody have any advise on this plant and what to do with it now? I have done some research an most Echiums are biennial but some are perennial I believe so firstly I need to check that the plant has died and is not just dormant for the oncoming winter.
If it is dead (it looks it now!) can anyone advise me what I should do? Dig it up? Chop it down?
I am located in the UK and they rarely flourish, but this has beast has done really well and currently has a nice protected spot against a wall and protected by some other shrubs.
All advice will be gratefully received!

Pictures:
e36ec15b-e11e-471a-bda4-6c7d50ac2e97.jpg

ed7ca27b-2cf6-43e0-b6f4-ceec3e988981.jpg

the above pictures show its present state, below are some images from the internet that show the plant in its prime
Echium_pininana_at_Coleton_Fishacre_-_geograph.org.uk_-_811155.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 17.34.04.png

incidentally I have taken some seeds and have a few babies already growing :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did you try Googling it? It's not actually a tree, but a large fowering plant. Apparently it takes a year or too to get that big and it probably dies off after a couple of years anyway. But apparently it self seeds very easily. It doesn't like frost. And BTW: be careful - it's toxic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have googled and I think its now at the end of its time, just wanted some more opinions.

Ive got a few babies from the seeds and im expecting to find a few more.

I did know it was toxic but thanks anyway, I tend to handle it with my gloves on. its a bit prickly too!

Ask a Question