Help with Basil Plant

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
What kind of soil are the plants potted in? Lots of perlite? Are the plants wilted shortly after the sunlight hits them?

After further observation, it was two separate things on two separate plants growing together: the one that was wilting and shedding leaves shriveled up completely and died within days. Not sure what it's problem was, but it wasn't under-watering.

The etiolation was on the other plant. It has grown less noticable in the intervening 10 days or so, but the greenness of the leaves is still varied: some a healthy dark, others a more insipid lighter color. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's an infestation of mites per our other thread here on the forum, just less developed, either because i was quicker with the miticide, or because basil, being so fast-growing, faster 'metabolism' circulation, delivers the root-absorbed miticide to the leaves more quickly than other plants.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After further observation, it was two separate things on two separate plants growing together: the one that was wilting and shedding leaves shriveled up completely and died within days. Not sure what it's problem was, but it wasn't under-watering.

The etiolation was on the other plant. It has grown less noticable in the intervening 10 days or so, but the greenness of the leaves is still varied: some a healthy dark, others a more insipid lighter color. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's an infestation of mites per our other thread here on the forum, just less developed, either because i was quicker with the miticide, or because basil, being so fast-growing, faster 'metabolism' circulation, delivers the root-absorbed miticide to the leaves more quickly than other plants.
It very well could be mites. It could also be a deficiency of a micro-nutrient.

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
I give it something like NPK 8-8-8, every other watering. maybe a higher concentration or a different balance? Or some othe specific element? Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I give it something like NPK 8-8-8, every other watering. maybe a higher concentration or a different balance? Or some othe specific element? Thanks again!
Very few liquid or pelleted fertilizers have all of the needed micro-nutrients. Products like Azomite and Greensand have all of them. Liquid Chelated Iron has all also.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question