Help with baby avocado

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 10 month old baby avocado plant that I luckily grew from a seed indoors. It is now about 10 inches tall with large green leaves. The problem is I have no idea how to care for this plant or to aid it in its growing process. I haven't trimmed it because I was afraid of cutting it at the wrong spot. I would love any info on what type of soil/fertilizer/steps I can take to help it grow. I try to give the plant as much sunlight as possible but it is winter here and the plant will wilt if I leave it by a window. I know nothing about gardening and would love to get any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1513127662521680680575.jpg
    1513127662521680680575.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 245
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Khamtanh - first a question. Do you live in a zone that will allow you to put the plant in the ground? Avocado trees get quite large. When I lived in Florida I had several Avocado trees in my yard. They were all started from pits like yours. If you plan on keeping it as an indoor plant you will be able to do it for 3 years at best. After 3 years my Avocados were over 6 feet tall. The one I tried to keep in a pot on the pool deck didn't fare as well as those in the ground. As for advice, I would let it get slightly root bound and then transfer it to the largest pot you can find. Use a commercial potting soil as the growing medium and be sure not to let it go completely dry. Remember, one of my Avocados was over 15 feet in diameter and required a lot of branch support while fruiting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Silentrunning Thank you for your reply. I live in Arkansas and the weather is very unpredictable. Right now it is warm one day and freezing the next so I prefer to keep it inside. I've noticed the plant hasn't grown any in the past 2 months and was just wondering if I was doing the right things to keep it healthy. The ends are starting to crisp up at the ends and I just wanted to nourish the plant through our "winter".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mine tended to go dormant during the short days of winter. We even had some frosts and they would loose their leaves. When the days got longer and warmer they would sprout new leaves again. I wouldn't worry too much about no growth until next summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Very interesting, @Silentrunning Did you also need to graft your trees?

No. If I remember correctly it is Haas Avocados that need grafting. I'm not real sure on that. Many years ago Florida farmers tried to grow Avocados commercially to compliment their citrus crop. The avocado they raised was larger than the ones you find in the grocery stores today. For some reason this was not a commercial success. The Avocados I raised were descendants of that type of tree. A friend of mine started several of the trees for me from trees in his yard. His Avocados would reach two pounds regularly and had outstanding flavor. As my trees matured I got good fruit but never close to his older trees.

Ask a Question