Help! Wilting from dieses, what? Broc/Caba/Cauli

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did have a company put down weed killer on the yard but that was a month ago. Also by coincidence this part of my garden is the furthest from my grass and is surrounded by only a deck and without a doubt the most isolated part of my garden from a potential herbicide

These plants are in the top left corner of this picture this picture is from last year but it gives you a feel for the location they are right around the deck but I've not done anything to the deck this year
Most herbicides do not adhere to soil particles and thus move freely through the soil. I seriously doubt that last months weed killer is doing this although it is possible if your garden is downhill from the lawn and it has rained a lot or been watered a lot since it was put down. As I stated before, there is a way to eliminate herbicide poisoning as the cause. Just do that little soil and mulch test and if it comes back negative then you have eliminated one possible cause. Herbicide poisoning may not be what is killing the plants so rapidly. When you posted earlier about you soil having a foul odor can you describe the smell? Also you posted that you added soil that had humus in it. Where did this soil come from? This is the soil I would test for herbicides as some of it can last literally for years

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Soil and leaf humus was from a local nursery. Not likely bad - and again if it was it would be affecting the other hundreds of veggies/fruits I have planted. This makes no sense. My last 2 cauliflower plants are on the way out as we speak. I will do the test but I know it will not show a problem, way to many senstive plants, new plants etc in the same stuff growing like crazy in the same soil/etc.

I have a 1/2 mile deep lot with all woods behind me, woods on one side, one neighbor on the other - and not close to my garden, they put no chemicals down. My front yards is 100 yards deep - so only place that someone could have sprayed is a solid 150 yards away, downwind and with my house in the way. No chance it came from there.

I am pretty much going to give up! aaarrghhh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Soil and leaf humus was from a local nursery. Not likely bad - and again if it was it would be affecting the other hundreds of veggies/fruits I have planted. This makes no sense. My last 2 cauliflower plants are on the way out as we speak. I will do the test but I know it will not show a problem, way to many senstive plants, new plants etc in the same stuff growing like crazy in the same soil/etc.

I have a 1/2 mile deep lot with all woods behind me, woods on one side, one neighbor on the other - and not close to my garden, they put no chemicals down. My front yards is 100 yards deep - so only place that someone could have sprayed is a solid 150 yards away, downwind and with my house in the way. No chance it came from there.

I am pretty much going to give up! aaarrghhh
And this is happening only to cole crops? Not tomtoes or peppers? What do the roots look like? Are they white or brown or non-existent?

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure about cole but yes ONLY to cabbage, Broccoli and Cali flower. All have been in garden for a month - I started indoors from seeds. No other plants/fruits affected. I am growing 50 different things. Tomatoes and peppers are great. It seems like roots are down to almost nothing. See my other thread in disease forums for more info to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not sure about cole but yes ONLY to cabbage, Broccoli and Cali flower. All have been in garden for a month - I started indoors from seeds. No other plants/fruits affected. I am growing 50 different things. Tomatoes and peppers are great. It seems like roots are down to almost nothing. See my other thread in disease forums for more info to.
It looks almost as if something like wire worms or grubs are systematically eating all the roots but I have never heard of them discriminating. I my garden they are an equal opportunity root eater. I suppose you have already dug down to see if anything is there

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally an answer definitely root maggots pulled up one that is dying quickly. little tiny white maggots. How do I kill them ASAP?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Finally an answer definitely root maggots pulled up one that is dying quickly. little tiny white maggots. How do I kill them ASAP?
Glad you found out what it was. The best long term fix is to apply beneficial nematodes before the start of the growing season but right now I would go with a Pyrethrin drench. Pyrethrin is an organic substance but is extremely toxic. The good thing is that it deteriorates quickly in the soil. It will get rid of root maggots quickly and any beneficial that it touches

Ask a Question