First post help! wilting Broc., Caul., Cabage etc

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had a large garden for a few years and have a new bad problem. I grew broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage from seeds indoors. I transplanted them into my garden. They are doing great EXCEPT, one by one, they are suddenly wilting and dying fast. I did everything the same as last year (I rotated locations) I did introduce pine needles as mulch - from trees in my yard - nearby (read in that unlikely they bought anything in). I also got added more soil to my raised beds (it STUNK bad and had leaf humus mixed in that had to be from last year and ROTTEN).

Each group is loosing plants fast, and always in order (meaning it does not jump around, one plants wilts and dies then the one next to it a few days later).

They are in different parts of my garden. It does look like the base of the plant (start of root) is weakening - one plant I pulled out had the base pretty much down to nothing - no roots came out it broke very easily. I am finding slugs and green caterpillars - which I get every year - I pick them off by hand. Other then holes in leaves from them eating plant shows NO signs of distress except wilting.

At this rate they will all be gone in a couple weeks. What disease is this????

Don Ohio

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hhmm Cabbage root maggot perhaps (even though moved around)

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! Could be but never had this happen before and it is now happening in all four areas I planted these 3 items, so doubtful, but then again no matter what is suggested I did not have it last year..........

Really throwing me that it went from never to all places these 3 area - no other plants affected - many others started from seeds side by side and transplanted at the same time - right next to these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Try pulling up one that appears to be going and look for maggots or holes in the roots .

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I did with 3. Basically nothing left below ground. Right at ground level, where it transfers from stem to root there is almost nothing but a tiny threadlike stem.Obviously thin roots got torn off but bottom line is the root system is to weak or gone to pull up and digging produces nothing. No holes though.

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pic - broccali was a LOT bigger until it wilted. Leaves were nearly the size of a credit card (CC)

Attachments

• root rot 2015.JPG
    root rot 2015.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 319
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Tough one, I really don't know, hopefully someone will have some idea

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I trested ph, alkaline. This plant went from perfectly fine at noon to wilted at 5 o'clock. It died.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 315
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 330

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally an answer definitely root maggots pulled up one that is dying quickly. little tiny white maggots. How do I kill them ASAP?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I cannot find any easy way to correct problem now, the flies that create the trouble czn perhaps be controled but the maggots are more troublesome. I would suggest google search for cabbage root maggots and maybe you can find something (even if its for next year and beyound)

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I put 7 dust powder and liquid around plants remaining. It seems like it helped, maggots cannot be to deep seemed like a no brainer.

Ask a Question