Help! Elephant Ear Wilting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there -

Earlier today I re-potted my elephant ear plant. I have had the plant since early November and have always kept it inside in a pot and it had always done well in bright light - new leaves, string stems, etc. However I noticed there were lots of bugs in the soil - I think this is because some outdoor soil was used when it was potted originally (it was a gift).

Anyway, I re-potted it with clean organic soil about 5 hours ago and now my stems are wilting! They even feel a little mushy / soft when I squeeze them gently.

Is it just in shock? Should I cut it back? Help!! I love this plant!!

Thanks in advance!
Brianna

Attachments

• IMG_1425.JPG
    IMG_1425.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 2,261
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Beth -

Thanks - and thanks for responding so quickly! So do you think I should just leave it in its regular spot and wait and see what happens? I don't want to cause any additional damage...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't change its location. If those leaves don't perk up in a day or two, I'd cut them back I think. So the plant doesn't have to expend extra energy on them. I've often heard the advice to trim back plants before transplanting, for that same reason.

Ask a Question