Help: tomato trouble

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I didn't see any bugs. What is plant wash? Water and Dawn? Also, would blue corn meal be OK? It's the only kind I have right now.

Can I mix the salts, the plant wash, and the peroxide in the same spray bottle?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
PlantWash is made by Soil Mender. (SoilMender.com.) It was origionally made for the U.S. Navy but it was accidentally found to be a great help for plants that had been infected with all sorts of things. It has only been available for about 4-5 years. It's totally organic. I have never heard of Blue Corn Meal, but as long as it is not enriched cornmeal I guess it would be OK. The cornmeal you want you can find as horticultural corn meal at a feed store or as whole ground cornmeal at your local HEB. As far as mixing everything together I don't see anything wrong, as none of the products will harm anything by themselves, but you have to strain the cornmeal or it will plug up your sprayer. Early Blight is a soil born fungus that only affects the sourthern US and as far as I know has never been seen in Europe or farther north than the soil freeze line. One of the best ways to slow down EB is to mulch your tomato plants to stop the soil from splashing onto your plants during a heavy rain. Most of the time EB kills the tomato plant AFTER the plant has set all of the fruit it will, especially determinate bush type plants. If you are growing indeterminate plants of large variety tomatos it will be too hot here for them to set a lot of fruit anyway. EB doesn't seem to affect the cherry varieties near as much as the larger types. I have never seen a cure for EB. It is something that you have to learn to reduce until your plants make their crop. That is why large indeterminate varieties of tomatoes like Brandywine, Beefsteak etc are not really sucessfull here. You can of course grow them but your crop will be severely limited.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We get early blight in the UK.

Tends to affect only the leaves of plants, and they usually survive it.

R.R.: You should NEVER mix chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We get early blight in the UK.

Tends to affect only the leaves of plants, and they usually survive it.

R.R.: You should NEVER mix chemicals.
EB here is terminal. I think because it so hot, but, the plants have already produced what they could. We have a long growing season here for just about everything except tomatoes. I just gets so hot so soon that their fruit set is limited

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Our problem in the UK (away from the very south) is getting tomatoes to ripen because of the lack of sunshine!
That's why we have to restrict indeterminate tomatoe to one, or at a push two, leaders.
That's why I gave up with the beefsteak varieties.

I've stopped trying butternut squash, because our average season isn't long enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our problem in the UK (away from the very south) is getting tomatoes to ripen because of the lack of sunshine!
That's why we have to restrict indeterminate tomatoe to one, or at a push two, leaders.
That's why I gave up with the beefsteak varieties.

I've stopped trying butternut squash, because our average season isn't long enough.
I will trade you 1/2 of my sunshine for 1/2 of your rain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, how long is the tomato growing season here? I didn't know I wouldn't have tomatoes all summer.
Most often tomato seasons ends about the middle of July for most varieties. It will be too hot here for tomatos to set fruit by the middle of June or sooner, EXCEPT for the cherry types. They will produce all summer or until the grasshoppers and spider mites finish them off. About the first of July start new tomato plants from seeds and about the middle of August set them out. You will normally have enough time for a crop before the first frost. Start your cole crops at the same time as the tomatos. You will be able to harvest them in December and replant for a spring crop. Set out your onions the first of January. Sow your root crop seeds about the first of Sepember. Normally it doesn't get cold enough here to really hurt them. Then start your tomato seeds in January and plant them around April 1 or sooner if you don't think it will frost again. Plant determinate type tomatoes. They will work much better than the heirloom indeterminate types and if you are growing for production I think you will find growing the mid-size varieties will give you more poundage than the large slicer types.

Ask a Question