Tomato help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is this? I am in Colorado have been growing tomatos for years and have never seen this. Are they insects or is it a soil issue? zucchini in same soil are exploding.

Attachments

• IMG_7590.JPG
    IMG_7590.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 206
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is this? I am in Colorado have been growing tomatos for years and have never seen this. Are they insects or is it a soil issue? zucchini in same soil are exploding.
I had the same thing 2 years ago on some of my plants. It was tomato pinworm. I had not seen it either. Most times the moth will lay its egg on the shoulder of the tomato. Cut one of the green ones open and I bet you can find him.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had the same thing 2 years ago on some of my plants. It was tomato pinworm. I had not seen it either. Most times the moth will lay its egg on the shoulder of the tomato. Cut one of the green ones open and I bet you can find him.

How do I get rid of them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do I get rid of them?
You can't get rid of them. All you can do is prevention. When the moth lays its eggs it is usually on the foliage and when it hatches it will roll up the leaf and sometimes make a spider web looking thing in it. Look for rolled up leaves and either snip them off or just crush the leaf. As soon as you find a rolled up leaf spray the entire plant, fruit and all with Bt. You will never find all of the rolled up leaves. They usually appear when the fruit is just about full size or maybe a tad smaller. I always spray my fruit once a week whether it needs it or not. A pinworm will take a small tiny bite of a tomato skin and will be dead within 4 hours using Bt.

Ask a Question