Help me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my lawn. I’m renting and my landlord was very keen on his garden. He said he had trouble with patches on the lawn but since I’ve moved in I’ve lost complete control. I’ve tried doing some research and maybe I’ve over seeded it or cutting it too short but I have a very basic mower.

My most recent attempt was soiling and trying to seed it and rake over but that has turned into a catastrophe as you can see in the pictures.

Can anyone offer me some opinions or help?

TIA
IMG_6177.jpeg
IMG_6178.jpeg
IMG_6181.jpeg
IMG_6179.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ouch!! Not too grand is it? What I would say is it looks very dry, we have had a lot of hot and dry lately, not ideal conditions for doing things to grass. If the rain over the last couple of days has reached you it may well improve things, mine has practically changed colour completely over night. I would simply let it grow and when it reaches three or four inches mow it as long as your basic mower will allow. I have seen people lay and seed lawns with very particular grasses, then have me round to mow them. In most cases the 'local' grass has taken over within a year or two. Grass is very good at seeding and regenerating itself if it is given the minimum of interference.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply! So if I can keep it sufficiently watered then I should hopefully in time see a difference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply! So if I can keep it sufficiently watered then I should hopefully in time see a difference?
Every lawn in my street looks like that and I'm in Scotland where it's wetter and cooler than your part of the world (usually - not sure it is this year).

I say every lawn - mine is green because I've selfishly been watering it (I'd put in lots of daisy and clover plug plants and didn't want them to die).

The norm in the UK nowadays is to not water the lawn. It turns brown and dead looking, but as soon as the rain comes in sufficient quantity it goes green again.

Careful about putting lawn feed etc on when it's dry. You could water it (but make sure you water it REALLY well so the water gets down deep), or you could just wait for nature and the rain to sort it out.

Info here from RHS:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Take a soil sample to the local university and get a soil test. Ask them for recommendations from the analysis. My first look tells me the people before you dumped excess amounts of fertilizer and poisoned it. Little areas are almost always over-fertilized because of their size.

Ask a Question