Help - Apple Tree Not Looking Good

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are from north Texas. It's been a VERY wet & rainy spring. Our apple trees were looking great until recently. Today I walked by and noticed one of the trees is looking pretty bad.

A few things to note:
- Both trees were transplanted this last winter. One looks great, one really sad.
- It looks like half the tree was first to decline. Maybe I cut that part off? Is there a chance it could come back?
- We have some fungus across the yard on our photinias which are also dying. Could this be related?

What should I do to try and treat and save this tree? (thank so so much in advance)

Regards,

Andy

IMG_3838.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG
IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
It could be root rot. A sort of phytophthora. Maybe, and I am no expert, you could try and water the tree with some Ridomil fungicide. Of course, yes, I would remove the dying side. Plus, maybe a small dash of NPK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could be several things, first off I’d prune off all the dead branches. Then spray it with Eagle 20 ER fungicide you’ll prob have to order it on line, it’s systemic, so it can be curative as well as preventative. Spay it every 10-14 until it’s looking better, that will prob take most of the summer. Also spray it with liquid Seven, you can mix the Eagle 20 and Seven together. Use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water with the Eagle 20, and 4 ounces of Seven per gallon of water. Every couple weeks use your fingernail and scratch the bark on the bad side, if it’s brown instead of green cut off the bad side. Since both trees are close together, put the healthy tree on the same spray schedual just to be safe. Also it’s important to keep the area the trees are in very clean, no dead leaves or branches, or fallen fruit around, make sure they’re mulched well. Good luck,
Paul

Ask a Question