Hello from Pittsburgh PA!! I have an Orchid question...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and thank you for having me! I have no green thumbs, but always wanted one and this year I am beginning my adventures of indoor plants and outdoor flowers! My first issue I have a question about is, I bought a phalaenopsis orchid at walmart, it has 5 flowers and approx 4 leaves, I just lost a flower, last night I noticed one flower was sort of closing up , and this morning I found it on the floor, it didnt appear dry or anything. Also, one leaf is yellowing and soft. I read somewhere that this may be part of a normal cycle as for the leaf,... As for the flower, my house is very dry, so in order to increase humidity I pulled the plastic pot the flower is in out of the ceramic pot, added a small layer of stones and a bit of water that was below the stones and put the plastic pot back in.... could the flower have fallen off due to the sudden change in humidity?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Sheal, and Esther, no i have not! I'm actually 30 mins from Pittsburgh in a smaller town but I have heard of it, and it has all been good, I need to try it out sometime!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Your orchid is a little stresses, it was grown in a nice warm and moist green house then shipped in a hot and dry truck 100s of miles just to sit around in a store for a week or so, putting a tray of water under it will help, it might drop its flowers but it should do just fine, your orchid is one of the easier one to grow, you can find out a lot about by doing a search on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Ashley!

Sorry to hear about your orchid. Where do you have it in your house? They like a bright spot but not direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, @Ashley, hope you can. The only time I went there, was passing through from an event in Ohio to get back home. Only had time to shop there, but did note surrounding the store were interesting restaurants and shops. I usually get things mailed in from there that I cannot find here. The store itself is a good rambling size, so be prepared if your a foodie for overload.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ashley, welcome! I can't help with the orchid, but if you have other questions that fall within my tiny realm of knowledge, I'll try to be of help.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Ashley :) I hope your orchid is doing better, sadly I can't help you with your question, but there is a big chance your orchid wasn't properly taken care of while at the store. I've had to nurse several plants (bought at places like Walmart) back to health.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4ish so they say..?
Country
United Kingdom
Orchids generally die due to incorrect watering, they should be watered but not be left wet or lying in water. You should soak the plant when it is dry and allow the water to run through the pot until it is damp, when watering, water over somewhere where the excess water can drain away, don't allow the ceramic pot you have it in have water sitting in it, then allow the pot to dry naturally until it needs watering again. The best way to pot an orchid is to put polystyrene chips at the bottom of the pot, then some bark above, ( I got this advice from an Orchid grower here in the UK with over 100 years or experience and also the winner over over 15 gold medals at Chelsea ) with the plant sitting in the bark. I know a lot come with compost, The reason Orchids come in the clear plastic pot is so you can see the root condition as this tells you the healthiness of the plant. The roots should turn green when you water and then slowly turn white as the plant begins to dry out. You can also help the humidity by spraying the leaves of the plant in the summer, but not soaking it, more like a gentle mist..., I hope this helps

Ask a Question