Harvesting Figs in October (Zone 6)

Reaction score
If you have been keeping up with my posts, you have seen the many figs I have been harvesting from the trees. For the last month I have been picking a couple of figs per week. It wasn't until July and August that the figs started to form on the trees. But I noticed that the figs would be little greens nubs one day, and then they would be big, plump, luscious purple fruits the next day! Of course the Figs taste excellent, what I would describe as a mix between Peaches, Plums, and Apricot jam.
If I recall correctly, it was near November when caged, mulched, and covered the fig trees. Now that we are approaching mid-October, and the nights are getting down in the 40s, I am sure the figs will stop producing and ripening at all. I may attempt to keep them warm by wrapping them in garden canvas at night. But in the following weeks, I will need to prepare to overwinter the fig trees.

Here are some of the figs I harvested today.

Original post @ Harvesting Figs in October (Zone 6)

-Cassie K, veganslivingofftheland.blogspot.com

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your figs look delicious Cassie. I planted a fig tree about 3 years ago,I think. It's the bare branches with a few leaves behind the ceramic rabbits. Certainly no figs yet.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Excellent garden. Hang in there, the figs will surely produce next year. What variety is that?
I actually don't know what type of fig tree it is. I bought it from a market a few years ago. I just tried looking it up but couldn't find the same shape. I'll keep trying to find out. The little bit I read was a bit horrifying as there apparently is one that is a male and never bares fruit, it's sole purpose is to pollinate the female ones. Hope mine isn't that one. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, how I miss eating fresh figs! You're lucky you could harvest so many of them in October:) They looked super delicious!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The inside looked so yummy and tantalizing! I must try these fruits once they are available.

Ask a Question