olive tree harvesting time

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
this Thursday we will start picking the olives from the tree's most of them will be oil and a very few will be olive pickle, am so excited i wait this time of year.

we have 13 olive trees which are not too much. 8 of them are really old. 2 were planted this year and 3 are almost 10 years old so the only trees that counts to hold enough olive are the 8 old trees, olive trees are slow growers and take alot of time to give you enough olive for oil.

so hope it rains in the next couple of days as people are talking so we can start picking the olives cuz if we pick them and it didnt rain even once yet the olives will not give enough oil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Fingers crossed for rain then! Hope it goes well :)

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
here we go, 71kg of olives = 25 liters of oil.

d8de76e3-ee89-4881-b1ba-53b6a240c368.jpg
23ef7bdd-2e8f-4277-a68d-0c22d5b27c51.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one :)

Only ever had 2 tiny olives from my tree, but I do live in the frozen North.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
Congratulations @mahmoud on your harvest :) Is this all from one tree? Any idea how old the tree is?
hello, they are from 8 trees but this one in the picture was full of olive, usually olive trees hold olive once every two years.
my dad says that his grandpa planted them 110 years ago.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
when my dad started to build the house on this land he took out 15 of this old tree's and when my grandpa heard of it he was crying and he didn't talk to my father for 2 months

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
Wonderful! You must show us the process of how you press the oil! :)

now aday it is easy, we but them in a big strainer that lets the leaves fall down to keep online the olives and than just put the olives in a big machine which makes them oil. but in old days it was much harder, people used to press the olives between two large circled stones to makes oil out of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow mahmoud, I love olives and often buy them from a Middle Eastern market near me....they have a huge assortment cured all sorts of ways. Dry, in oil, black, green, spiced or not. I love them all.

Do you sell yours, I imagine so from the volume you produce?

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
Wow mahmoud, I love olives and often buy them from a Middle Eastern market near me....they have a huge assortment cured all sorts of ways. Dry, in oil, black, green, spiced or not. I love them all.

Do you sell yours, I imagine so from the volume you produce?
actually no i dont, here in lebanon we use olive oil alot, we dont eat if there is no salad like fatoush or taboula on the table and our salads need olive oil. the volume you see is barely enough for our yearly home use, people who sell olive oil needs sometime a month to finish picking the olives from the tree's some have hundreds of trees.

Ask a Question