Happy Saint Patrick's Day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I killed the fatted cabbage and had it with corned beef for out St Patrick's dinner last week.

20200322_175002.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The Irish Reel

Sad to say that Corn Beef and Cabbage is not actually the traditional Irish dish that most people here in the USA think it is. Beef would have been way too expensive in Ireland! They used Pork or sometimes Lamb/Mutton. The Corned Beef thing started here in New York, because due to the large Jewish population and availablility of inexpensive Corned Beef, it was cheaper for the Irish immigrant population to use Corned Beef. So it's actually an American Irish tradition, much like Spaghetti and Meat balls is actually an American Italian dish - both originating in New York.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
On my second trip to the Oregon coastline, staying at my favorite B&B Sylvia Beach Hotel, found myself down a street having a drink at an Irish Pub. Sitting on a stool next to me was a book The bartender had no clue who the book belonged to so I secured it. Gave him my business card and told him should the owner return call me as I would be in town one more day. When I got back to my room I leafed through the pages and found a 4 leaf clover sitting there. No one called for the book. True story. Have a Happy St. Patricks Day.

Ask a Question