Growing Radishes in Pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
I grow radishes in Pots and over the last few years have not gotten ant radishes out of it. At the 28 day mark, they are very thin, like small carrots.
Any idea on to fix this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They like continuous moisture, which is always more difficult in a pot. The larger the mass of earth the easier it is to keep conditions stable. The other possibility is that you have used the same earth once too often and they are short on nutrients. Try some fresh soil and a small trough rather than a pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Add a handful of composted poultry manure pellets to your pot & mix in.
Radishes use very little in the way of nutrients, but they do use some.
When you give your radishes the water they require, you are likely to sluice out some of the plant nutrients.
This doesn't tend to be a problem in the ground, but can be in a pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
They get watered every other day, I do have a Rain Barrel. I think I will pull all these out, and dump the soil out and put fresh soil in the pot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have loads of rain barrels, mostly empty :(

Sounds like a seriously good idea, it's not just nutrients, the soil structure changes as organic material decays affecting all sorts of factors. Start afresh, all as it should be, and don't fiddle about trying to figure what's wrong and adjust it, You will catch it anyway like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They get watered every other day, I do have a Rain Barrel. I think I will pull all these out, and dump the soil out and put fresh soil in the pot.
Don't throw that soil away, put it in your compost heap if you have one, or a garden bed if you don't; it will soon recover.
Watering twice a week should be plenty, even in summer, & it does indeed look like you have washed the nutrients out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
Ok, I ripped out all those skinny little non radishes, dumped the soil that was in there and put fresh bagged soil in, filled my Watering can, put some Miracle grow fertilizer in the pot and watered my freshly planted radishes and the rest of potted Veggies and Herbs.
I made a video. in fact I have made many videos on my Garden and I upload them to Vidlli and I made one today and you can find it here - https://www.vidlii.com/watch?v=jsldPlRwLHW

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12B
Country
Canada
Don't throw that soil away, put it in your compost heap if you have one, or a garden bed if you don't; it will soon recover.
Watering twice a week should be plenty, even in summer, & it does indeed look like you have washed the nutrients out.
I do not have have a compost heap, I just put it other pots, will let it dry right out and then put it in a paper bag for recycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a decked garden with everything in pots. She has a little bit of paving at the end and has installed a plastic bin she found for her compost container, it is doable, and so worth it. That soil won't improve for drying and bagging, but it would improve the texture of the compost as well as being improved by it.

Ask a Question