Gravity fed IBC container

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello, trying to gravity feed my elevated garden with an IBC container

however, do not have enough pressure to push water through the irrigation Spicket

any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated on how to make this work better? pics attached thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5754.jpeg
    IMG_5754.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5753.jpeg
    IMG_5753.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5752.jpeg
    IMG_5752.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5751.jpeg
    IMG_5751.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5750.jpeg
    IMG_5750.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5749.jpeg
    IMG_5749.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5748.jpeg
    IMG_5748.jpeg
    509.8 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @cathlabrunner :)

There is one way I learned about when living in the Australian bush, but you will need an electric supply.
If you could make a high up platform to hold a 40 gallon drum, you could pump the water from the IBC to the drum, and gain pressure fuelled by gravity. I know that works.
Our IBC containers are all black, we got them so that we could use them for cooking etc in times of emergency.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A solar powered pump? Might include a battery? This actually could use a smaller thinner line diameter out to a certain distance or like @Tetters said just to refill a high bucket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For every 2.5 foot of water level above the outlet, you get about 1 psi of pressure.

That kind of tells you how high up your water tank needs to be (for gravity feed) to get the required pressure to work the emitters, which should be labeled on the emitters.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Any chance of putting gravel and an overflow pipe in the bottom to create 'wicking beds'?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This site is GREAT! Thanks for all of your help! I think the easiest way is to install a diaphragm pump on a timer. I found this one below:

Now here's my follow up question per dirt mechanic suggestion. What type of solar panel? I know zero about solar panels and hooking them up to 12v devices to power?

My ultimate goal is to have a timer on the diaphragm pump from the IBC container to make it very low maintenance. Appreciate all your help folks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This site is GREAT! Thanks for all of your help! I think the easiest way is to install a diaphragm pump on a timer. I found this one below:

Now here's my follow up question per dirt mechanic suggestion. What type of solar panel? I know zero about solar panels and hooking them up to 12v devices to power?

My ultimate goal is to have a timer on the diaphragm pump from the IBC container to make it very low maintenance. Appreciate all your help folks!
Calculate the Wattage: Multiply the amperage by the voltage using the formula W = A × V.

You have chosen a 8 amp pump. 8ax12v=96watts panel minimum. Obviously no panel works perfectly all the time. I would x4 the size. it will feed a charging regulator which leads to the battery. The use of an inverter between the battery and pump allows for ac voltage pumping or ac tools in that area as well. Or lights for that matter.

I would strongly suggest you look into the ease of diaphram replacment on the pump as well. I have had those and it is just a little round bob that rotors about the other side of a piece of flat rubber. It makes a bulge into the water flow and pushes the water out causing a suction on the inlet side This friction on the diaphram causes pump failure via melted plastic parts on that design but they are cheap enough to start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
parallel idea on this one.

I had a smaller gravity feed hydroponics setup a few years ago with small diameter drip lines. Air bubbles in the lines caused big problems and would block the flow. The pump solution above will force out any air bubbles. Also is the top of the IBC open to atmosphere? If you have it sealed the draining water will pull a vacuum on the water pig and stop flow.

Ask a Question