Grafting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
I have seen fruit tree grafting using the cleft graft or the bark (rind) graft. What I haven't seen is doing both on the same bole.
That is for a stem of around 2-2.5 inches diameter, do a cleft graft and insert two scions, then in the remaining space insert two
rind grafts. Any reason no one has tried this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I can think of several possibilities. For a graft to be successful the cambium layers on the base tree and the Scion must line up so that the Scion can be fed and live. This can be tricky enough with one Scion let alone two. Now add grafts between these two and there is virtually no way to transfer from the base cambium to the center Scions. Another reason is the tree would probably develop a huge whorle at the junction that would not only be ugly but may be a weak point on the tree. I would be more inclined to do the grafts in different locations so if one should fail it won’t have a negative effect on the others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Makes sense. I will go by your advice and try to do separate cleft grafts and bark grafts on separate limbs. I will be doing these around the end of March. I will be taking the scions very soon now and putting them in the fridge. Many thanks especially to Silentrunning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Thanks, I will. Some from the fridge and some directly from the trees. I'll try to do each on separate trees. At that time (around April first) usually the chestnut buds start swelling here. I will be grafting 3 or 4 seedling trees that bear small chestnuts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Chestnut 2019.JPG
I just grafted some more chestnut trees yesterday using mostly bark (rind) grafts and a couple of whip and tongue grafts for smaller limbs or seedlings. I forgot to show last years results so I am attaching a picture I took last June (2019) - it shows a bark graft taking well. I hope to show more follow up this coming warm season . Thanks especially to SilentRunning for lat years advice on grafting.
I wonder if anyone know how come bark grating works better than cleft grafting on chestnut trees of about 2-3 inch diameter boles. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
I had a large chestnut which produced small bland nuts. In addition to it main bole, I had allowed a sucker to grow from the base. This year on April first, I grafted the main bole using 2 rind (bark) scions. I also did a whip and tongue on the smaller side shoot. As yo see in the pix, the bark grafts failed, but the smaller graft seems Ok. Should I now saw-off what remains of the large bole, or does it matter at all?

Attachments

• chestnut grafts.JPG
    chestnut grafts.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 158

Ask a Question