Grafting trees or not.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
All the trees that I have in my garden are grafted. I already bought them that way how about you were your trees planted from seed or are they grafted?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
All our fruit trees and grape vines are grafted. The root stock is adapted to our conditions, and since fire blight is a problem, the root stock has to be immune. Our lawn trees are big hackberries, and I can't imagine anyone intentionally planting a hackberry, so I think they started from seed and no one pulled them up in time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
1999 I bought a variety of dormant, grafted fruit trees. Asian pear, Stella Cherry, Chinese Apricot, Reliance Peach, & Mericrest Nectarine. Got a few Asian pear fruits for 2-3 years, then tree died. Never got cherries, tree died. Got couple years of fantastic apricots then tree died - borers. Had buried seed and now have apricot trees but no fruit yet.
The nectarine and peach bore fruit for many years. Nectarine fruit was never good. Peach is fantastic, sweet, flavorful, juicy. Buried seeds. Now I have three bearing peach trees - delicious. They were never grafted - are on own roots. The original Reliance was a dwarf, and never could stand up on its own. Had to be staked heavily. I finally took it down last year - 2015. The three children peach trees are upright and do not need staking. I will NEVER buy a grafted dwarf peach again. Of the 3 peaches I now have, the fruits are all like each other, with the Reliance Peach fruit size and taste, but one of those trees has the larger pink flowers in spring like the Mericrest Nectarine, but it bears the fuzzy peach fruit.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Grafted tress give you a head start. There are certain trees that will only give fruit after 7 years. One of these are cherry trees. I have a friend of mine that grew one from seed only to find out 7 years later that they were very small and not at all sweet. He ended up cutting it and planting a grafted tree next to it. Now he has the cherry trees roots all over the place and it's going to take som time for hum to dig them all out.
I personally prefer planting grafted trees since you don't have to wait very long before you find out what you got.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't want to wait for too long for the harvest so we also go for grafted fruit trees. However, there are trees that we plant from seeds like the cashew and the sugar apple that we give away to those who are in need. Our lemon trees are marcotted and our big mango tree is grafted although it is already more than 15 years old. Our star fruit in the rubber pot is obviously grafted and is profusely fruiting now. We have offers for some grafted trees but we cannot accept because we have no more place to plant them.

Ask a Question