Good source to get dwarf fruit tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am looking to get a few dwarf fruit trees. I inquired at local nurseries, but they either have regular or semi-dwarf. I am interested in the dwarf trees. Looks like I need to get them online. What do you recommend?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My understanding is you can always keep a tree smaller with pruning.

The guy just down the road has several maintained apple trees that are less than 10 feet tall and I'm pretty sure they're not on full dwarf rootstock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’m with Mr Yan. Check out Dave Wilson Nursery backyard orchard videos. They keep standard rootstock trees to 7’ long term. They’re much more available and sometimes cheaper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard of people having problems with the really dwarfing rootstock because they don't grow large enough to anchor the tree in strong winds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My understanding is you can always keep a tree smaller with pruning.

The guy just down the road has several maintained apple trees that are less than 10 feet tall and I'm pretty sure they're not on full dwarf rootstock.
I have over 50 fruit trees. That said for home orchard a semi-dwarf, dwarf or mini dwarf would be best. I have mostly semi-dwarf and dwarfs. The few standards I have require constant pruning to keep them small. It gets exhausting after a while. The semis and smaller trees I prune maybe 3 times a year to keep them small. In addition constant pruning in a disease infested environment doesn't help.

Another thing to consider would be how the tree fruits. Fruiting spur type trees are easier to keep small since the spurs fruit year after year such as plums and pears. However, trees that flower on only new growth are harder to keep small such as peaches and nectarines. These types need to be pruned to keep new growth constant for next years harvest. These types you definently want a semi-dwarf or smaller for home.

I would stay away from a standard size unless you want fewer trees. I like variety with different harvest times with less space. That's just my opinion.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you want genetic dwarfs Dave Wilson also grows those. Ask at an independent nursery if they can get them for you.
I bought several dwarfs and mini dwarfs from Raintree Nursery. No complaints other than the price of shipping. Just be careful some semi-dwarf are listed as dwarfs. Pay attention to the roots stock. Quick google search will let you know the size.

Dwarfs still grow bigger than most think. You still need to prune them to keep them small. If you pay close attention to the size in the characteristic of say a peach. It states a semi-dwarf would grow 12-14 high and in diameter. That usually means after you prune it to maintain that size. A semi dwarf peach will grow way bigger than that.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am also interested in citrus trees. They are not sold at Stark's Brothers and Raintree Nursery.

Has anyone tried http://www.starnurserybellechasse.com/ ?
They have Dwarf Owari Satsuma and Dwarf Meyer Lemon that I am interested in.
It's $50 per tree, including shipping.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I bought several dwarfs and mini dwarfs from Raintree Nursery. No complaints other than the price of shipping. Just be careful some semi-dwarf are listed as dwarfs. Pay attention to the roots stock. Quick google search will let you know the size.

Dwarfs still grow bigger than most think. You still need to prune them to keep them small. If you pay close attention to the size in the characteristic of say a peach. It states a semi-dwarf would grow 12-14 high and in diameter. That usually means after you prune it to maintain that size. A semi dwarf peach will grow way bigger than that.

MOD
Various sizes listed on Raintree Nursery are very helpful!

Ask a Question