Gleditsia

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I have a beautiful Gleditisia in my front garden which is beautifully sculptured - we decided to plant another one to match the one already in the garden when we bought the house. We planted a small shrub - this is it's second year and whilst it has grown some in height the branches don't seem to be spreading and the tree looks a bit like a feather duster:) I am not sure if I should be taking some of the small branches out to make space - anyone got any suggests. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos cultivar) is still quite young and is well-shaped for a young sapling that is still putting on height. Don't anything at this point but let it grow. Removing side branches will just make the tree look more bare. If you want to remove anything, it is the leader terminus. Tipping the tree in this way will likely cause side branching. though the tree might just try to form a secondary leader and keep going up.
In any case, don't take the word 'match' to literally. If this sapling ever does begin to resemble the older tree, it will be several years down the road.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos cultivar) is still quite young and is well-shaped for a young sapling that is still putting on height. Don't anything at this point but let it grow. Removing side branches will just make the tree look more bare. If you want to remove anything, it is the leader terminus. Tipping the tree in this way will likely cause side branching. though the tree might just try to form a secondary leader and keep going up.
In any case, don't take the word 'match' to literally. If this sapling ever does begin to resemble the older tree, it will be several years down the road.
Thank you so much Marck - we will try to be more patient let it do its thing. Really appreciate your quick response. Have a great day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The next obvious suggestion is to feed it. Any all-purpose fertilizer will do. Liquid fertilizers work faster than dry ones, but don't last as long. Organic foods are even slower but last even longer. Be sure to follow the directions on the package and when in doubt, use less.

Ask a Question