Gingergifted ?¿

Naadnad

It's a Nad life but not a bad life
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So Im new to this sorry if this doesn't fit the category I used , but truthfully I wasn't 100% sure if it is a vegetable or fruit given tomatoes are supposedly a fruit. Anyways, I was at a friends (a bunch of months ago actually) and she gifted me this plant because she said I would probably be more attentive and give it proper care. It is a piece of ginger I believe, that she had take root in some water(or soil I forget now). It's seemingly doing fine but I wanted to know what I should do in terms of fruiting .. Is it gunna be edible? I want to add I was originally gunna repot it and the baby as I like to call it, fell off so I placed that in its own pot and it is also doing fine. When I say this, I basically just mean both are alive /not dying. Any help is appreciated and hopefully this makes sense
16465664383577484353775720359895.jpg

Naadnad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the baby that fell off lol.

Attachments

• 16465667833517960222572006209170.jpg
    16465667833517960222572006209170.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There are many plants called 'Ginger' in the Ginger Family (Zingiberaceae) and some plants called 'ginger' that are in other families.
This appears to be a 'true' ginger in Zingiberaceae, but better identification will come as leaves unfurl, and the plant grows larger.
Please post another picture when the plant is larger, and especially if it flowers.

In Nevada, you should keep this plant indoors in cold weather, though it may be summered out in bright or partial shade.
Indoors give it bright light, natural or artificial. Potting soil should be rich and drain well, fertilize regularly with a complete, liquid fertilizer.

Naadnad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whats the recommended pot size to grow it properly? I dont own a house, so I do container gardening.. I have a grow light (two) which is actually where I have the main one under the "baby" is hanging in my kitchen window which gets indirect light.

Naadnad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

There are many plants called 'Ginger' in the Ginger Family (Zingiberaceae) and some plants called 'ginger' that are in other families.
This appears to be a 'true' ginger in Zingiberaceae, but better identification will come as leaves unfurl, and the plant grows larger.
Please post another picture when the plant is larger, and especially if it flowers.

In Nevada, you should keep this plant indoors in cold weather, though it may be summered out in bright or partial shade.
Indoors give it bright light, natural or artificial. Potting soil should be rich and drain well, fertilize regularly with a complete, liquid fertilizer.
Oh thank you btw for the input I truly appreciate it!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Natashaberry79

Latest Threads