Getting back to simpler times

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do not like the idea of making my own clothes unless I was going for something that was completely custom made. I enjoy walking into a store and picking out clothing pieces. Other than that, I will take a simple life over the modern world anytime. We have all gotten ourselves so busy that we do not stop to take in the simple pleasures anymore.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good on you both Trellum and Pat. If only I had the patience to sew again for myself. It does actually hurt my back, well that's my excuse. It really is a money saver and there are great fabrics around.
Last year I actually did buy new strong density foam and made new covers for my deck furniture. It was a big job and I wished I'd used a different colour but I certainly won't be doing it again in a hurry. I have purchased some great stripped fabric to cover the cushions for the setting too so I guess I still do sew when I have too. I do need glasses and patience and if I break the sewing sessions up its ok. Give it a go Trellum, I'm sure you'll find it satisfying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I make my own bread, cakes, cookies, I know how to can, make jams and jellies. But for one person I don't do much canning. My veggie garden keeps me with lots of veggies that I can freeze I'll bake cookies and cakes then freeze them you never know when you need some thing sweet I leaned to to sew and quilt, I can make shirts for my self but I haven't done that in years. Some times I think that the simpler times were a lot of work, but I still like doing some things the old way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My next adventure is to start making pies that I can freeze until we are in the mood for them. I live in an area where fresh berries and apples are bountiful and it would be a good way to use up these ingredients so they do not go bad. I already make large batches of cookies that I freeze until we are ready to eat them, why not pies too!

Reaction score
Canning has gotten too hard for me now that I am older. So, I give the excess vegetables away and I am learning to dehydrate the fruit. Dehydrated apples and apricots are GOOOD! When the potatos go on sale this Fall I may learn to dehydrate them also.

Some produce has little things to learn when dehydrating: apples need fruit fresh (or lemon juice or a dip in lemon soda) to stay fresh looking and fresh tasting, and I have heard that potato slices have to be well rinsed before they get dehydrated or the potatos turn an unappetizing color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dehydrating is something else that I really want to learn how to do. You can make so many healthy snacks and be rest assured that they do not have preservatives in them. Learning how to make beef jerry would be beneficial because that stuff is expensive to buy at the store.

Reaction score
Beef jerky is very easy, though beef is expensive right now and it does shrink a good deal! Just look up a simple recipe and have at it: some recipes are better than others, but I have tried 3-4 recipes and they have all been good.

Right now beef is too dear for me to want to make it into a snack and have it vanish in a matter of hours, but chicken is on sale this week, and I have been thinking that I will try chicken jerky for the first time ever. Boneless chicken breast will be $1.49 a pound, which is about 1/4 the price of lean beef right now, and so chicken jerky would be an excellent plan!

I intend to buy several packets of chicken when I shop early next week: some for jerky and some for grilling on the back deck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dream someday is to have a house with a little land so that I can plant my own fruits and veggies and use food that I cultivated. I am also considering raising my own chickens and small livestock as well. For the most part I think I could get away with being at least 50% self sustaining and depend on stores for the other half of what I would need in life. I would like to be able to enjoy life more at home and less slaving away at a job away from home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rosy, your dream is attainable. You are being very reasonable with the 50% estimate (toilet paper unfortunately does not grow on trees). We aren't even trying for self-sufficiency, but our grocery bill has plummeted, and our taste buds from our own vegetables and eggs and honey are very happy!
If you start keeping a record of how much of what you use in a year (for example, 30 lbs. of potatoes) you will know what and how much to plant. And don't forget herbs! Herbs add so much to food, as well as being good for pollinators.

Ask a Question