Genetically Modified Organisms

Reaction score
On the news the other day was a report that GMO foods were required to say if it were GMO on the label. Most times it wasn't. We really don't know what we are buying anymore and it is our own fault for electing the morons we now have in office supposedly watching out for us letting Monsanto and their ilk get away with what they are doing. It kind of reminds me of the CDC and Ebola and the rampant incompetence being shown there.

Is that for all of Texas?? I hope so, it needs to be everywhere but each new place that requires it is one step closer to stopping this nightmare. If companies can't sell in a certain area w/o labeling it as GMO they aren't going to be able to pay the extra cost to print different sets of labels.

I wonder how long before the fed gov't decides GMO foods can't be labeled? They'll use the interstate commerce act and 'the pen'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is that for all of Texas?? I hope so, it needs to be everywhere but each new place that requires it is one step closer to stopping this nightmare. If companies can't sell in a certain area w/o labeling it as GMO they aren't going to be able to pay the extra cost to print different sets of labels.

I wonder how long before the fed gov't decides GMO foods can't be labeled? They'll use the interstate commerce act and 'the pen'.
It was on Good Morning America a couple of months ago along with a labeling of ingredients segment. I haven't heard anything since except for some local news of people complaining about GMO's

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am afraid of the long term implications of GMO farming. I also do not believe we can trust Monsato to have our best interests in mind when they are creating these GMO seeds. It seems like it could come to a point where we lose pure natural seeds and in turn plants the way nature created them and this is scary to me. Can we go into the garden shop and be assured we are buying seeds that are not genetically modified? I believe we should always have the choice and with no labeling this choice is taken away from us. I would appreciate links from others to seed companies that refuse to use or sell any GMO seeds. I respect others views and believe everyone should be free to make their own choices but this includes those who want nothing to do with the GMO farming industry and want to keep it natural!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am afraid of the long term implications of GMO farming. I also do not believe we can trust Monsato to have our best interests in mind when they are creating these GMO seeds. It seems like it could come to a point where we lose pure natural seeds and in turn plants the way nature created them and this is scary to me. Can we go into the garden shop and be assured we are buying seeds that are not genetically modified? I believe we should always have the choice and with no labeling this choice is taken away from us. I would appreciate links from others to seed companies that refuse to use or sell any GMO seeds. I respect others views and believe everyone should be free to make their own choices but this includes those who want nothing to do with the GMO farming industry and want to keep it natural!
Just do a search for seed companies owned by monsanto. It will scare you to death

Reaction score
Luckily there are still some seed companies that they have not bought out. SeedsNow is one of them.

Unfortunately, even heirloom corn seeds are being ruined when they are pollinated by a bee that has visited a GMO corn plant.

We all need to carefully keep track of what is going on, be careful about where we buy our seeds, and what is planted near our crops. Except for those that think GMO is great.

I can't help but relate this to the smoking/non smoking areas. People that promote GMO's like Monsanto and Dow aren't just forcing us to breath in a little bit of the smoke, their putting cigarettes in our hands and we have a choice to breathe in and get the GMO or hold our breath. I find it infuriating.

Reaction score
Genetically modified plants may not set to well with a lot of people. However, as the population has already passed seven billion people living on our planet, science and creativity will be more important than ever. Genetic modification if done responsibly can help to feed people in areas of the world where plants are unable to thrive naturally. Also insect resistant varieties of crops have been introduced. Thus farmers are able to boost their crop yield. All of this results in more food for a shrinking planet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Genetically modified plants may not set to well with a lot of people. However, as the population has already passed seven billion people living on our planet, science and creativity will be more important than ever. Genetic modification if done responsibly can help to feed people in areas of the world where plants are unable to thrive naturally. Also insect resistant varieties of crops have been introduced. Thus farmers are able to boost their crop yield. All of this results in more food for a shrinking planet.
And down the road come all of the unintended consequences of which no one has a clue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
GMO's is what motivated me to change the way I eat and to go back to gardening. When I grew up the older family members gardened, but as time went on and they passed away or got to old that seemed to wane. When I had my son I used to be very particular what I fed him. Back then Mad Cow was a huge worry so I was selective. Well now we have all these chemicals in foods and in some cases questionable things they call food. I switched about two years ago back to root basics in my food. I grow much on my own and go to the farmers to get things to can and freeze. I am very much a naturalist, I don't believe we should ingest a lot of this stuff. I don't use it in the yard or the house. I get heirloom seeds and use good old fashion methods.

Since changing the way I eat I have lost 67lbs. I never felt hungry and overall feel better then I have in years. When I do go to the grocery store I feel like 85% of the food is not truly food or edible. Ever look at something as simple as bread crumbs. Good Golly what is that stuff? Yea it is so very different then the 60's. Brits and many EU countries are way more progressive on their stance against GMO's then America. I hope we follow suit, to many sick folks.

Reaction score
The truth is, crops are dwindling under GMO's. The only thing that is increasing is the need for more round up. It goes up each year. Talk to the farmers. The ones that aren't afraid to speak the truth.
Several of my relatives are farmers and have seen first hand what this is doing to the food supply.
I have seen the results in my body, and many others have to, which is why GMO's are banned in so many places in the world.
Monsanto and the government are in this for one reason and it has NOTHING to do with more food.
Ok, maybe 2 reasons. Besides greed, it will cut down on the overpopulation you seem to be concerned with.

Ask a Question