Genetically Modified Organisms

Reaction score
Before long, I stay away! It's like killing yourself slowly. On the off chance that it is not typically happening in nature, then I needn't bother with it. Nature submits no mistakes. There is a typical ask for that us individuals have immediately skimmed from and we are seeing the law of Cause and Effect hitting us like a gigantic measure of squares! So be mindful.

People can choose to eat whatever they want, too much research has been done to prove the negatives of these GMOs and they should be labeled for all of us Americans to freely choose our food sources.

Not everything that shimmers is gold. Give watchful thought to what number the UPC code starts with. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really quite agree with this.
It's not the sentiment, that's fine, and I think we should consider options carefully, especially regarding food, BUT:
we have been messing with with plant (and animal) genetics since Johann Mendel discovered that plants and animals could be crossbred to gain valuable traits.
We think nothing of selectively breeding dogs, racehorces and the like, we even use F1 hybrids on a daily basis in our flower and vegetable patches and THAT IS GENETIC MODIFICATION.

So I think, although I cannot say for sure, that the opening post was more likely to be about how the modification is achieved, and the motivations of the companies behind those modifications, and I'd like to make one point about each:
1) Is genetic modification of our food in Monsanto's laboratories really less safe than that done by ham-fisted amateurs, or smaller seed companies in their limited facilities?

2) Monsanto is the natural outcome of neo-liberal economics, indeed of capitalism itself.

In summation, whilst monocropping and other agro-business inspired regimes are, in the long term (at least) harmful, we have a growing population to feed, and if there is anthropogenic global warming, all the REAL evidence points to expansion of land under agriculture as the ROOT cause. (sorry)
So if Monsanto came up with a nutritionally sound GM variety of rice/maize/wheat/potato which required less petrochemichal fertiliser, and had inborne resistance to pests and diseases which greatly lessened the use of chemicals, whilst at the same time increasing yields, would we really not want it because Monsanto's motivations are questionable?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good point Bees, bit like the argument of wether to use a vaccine that was tested on animals, you know the testing was wrong, but you'd still want to use it to save your life.

Of course, if they really wanted to feed the world they'd be using a plant that provides good food and grows in the dessert without needing to be watered, but the worlds government seems to have something against Cannabis.

I'm not advocating the illegal use of it, but just look at how balanced the seeds are.

http://hashmuseum.com/nutritional-benefits-of-hempseed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am of two minds about GMO's. I understand the growing need to feed a growing population and can see how gene manipulation could be a benefit to helping alleviate this problem. We are already seeing some unintended consequences by these genetic modifications such as the corn pollen transference into Mexico from GMO corn grown in the US. Also about the cotton boll weevil and and caterpillars becoming immune to chemical and organic pesticides due to genetic modifications of host plants. I believe that changing government policies is the answer not GMO's. Not using a huge percentage of farmland to make alcohol is a start. Instead of subsidized food welfare to third world countries let them grow their own food. Help them by drilling water wells in arid places and helping to become self-sufficient by teaching them modern agricultural techniques. No one can prove whether GMO's are completely safe or not and until they are proven safe and immune from any and all unintended consequences they should be kept out of our food chain IMO

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Proving something is safe is extremely difficult, because really you're trying to prove a negative, i.e. that it isn't harmful, and proving a negative can be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Reaction score
The studies that prove GMO's are safe are all paid for by Monsanto. Other studies performed by independent labs have raised serious red flags, and they are banned in some countries.

Cross breeding, etc is completely different from splicing the genes and introducing very odd substances into the genetic make up of the seed

Using GMO seeds has not increased food worldwide, what it has done is increase the amount of round up(manufactured by Monsanto) that has to be bought to use with the seeds, and Monsanto now has a monopoly on the seed market. Since genetically modified crops produce seeds that can not reproduce, you have to buy more each year. For a farmer, that is thousands of dollars.The farmer in my family that grows the most corn says that he is buying twice as much round up now as he did before GMO seeds. He also gets less corn per acre, but for some reason which I can't figure out, he thinks GMO seeds are great, wants to see world hunger solved. (with less crop???)

I come from a line of farmers. They saw their crop yield increase the first year or so they use a seed, then see it decline. Some crops, especially corn, has been producing less than before GMO's, according to them.

Are they safe? Is it a good thing? Is Monsanto doing this to feed the world, or line their pockets? IMO it is not safe, it is not a good thing, and it is profit motivated. And I will not eat GMO foods, Since they aren't required by law here to label them, I have to look for the GMO free labels on foods that are being grown genetically modified. Limits choices, cost more, but to me it's worth it.

Everyone will have to decide for themselves if they are comfortable eating these things. The bad part is with corn, we have no choice. Non GMO corn raised within.,. I think it is 8 miles, single digit for sure, gets cross polinated and becomes GMO. Forcing everyone to eat GMO corn or pay outrageous prices for corn that has been greatly protected.

I try to grow most of my own fruits and vegetables, but won't even bother planting corn. The place I buy seeds from no longer even sells corn seeds, because they feel they can't guarantee that they have not been contaminated. I have some heirloom seeds from about 5 years ago, vac sealed and stored in the fridge. I hope some day that it will be safe to plant them again, and that at least enough of the seeds will grow to be able to harvest the seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I agree with Meowmie. Completely. After reading your post, I don't know what else to say, except that I have not eaten corn in a few years now. I miss it so much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with Meowmie. Completely. After reading your post, I don't know what else to say, except that I have not eaten corn in a few years now. I miss it so much!
Come on RR. There are a lot of non GMO corn--seeds out there although they are getting scarcer. Plenty of hybrids and a bunch of OP corn too, at least for now anyway

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Yes, I tried to grow some heirloom corn this year, but we had to move so I didn't get to enjoy it. I still have some seeds and I'm gonna try again next year but, since I haven't been able to grow any yet, and since I won't buy it at the store, I haven't had any in a long, long time.

Reaction score
Non GMO corn seeds are available. But they get contaminated if grown near GMO corn, which is why the company I buy seeds from will no longer sell them. They can't guarantee they haven't been contaminated.

Growing corn seeds from not GMO corn seeds just can't guarantee that they haven't been cross pollinated with GMO seeds.

I'll save the seeds I have, which hopefully are not contaminated, until the government wises up, listens to the people, and bans the GMO crops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Non GMO corn seeds are available. But they get contaminated if grown near GMO corn, which is why the company I buy seeds from will no longer sell them. They can't guarantee they haven't been contaminated.

Growing corn seeds from not GMO corn seeds just can't guarantee that they haven't been cross pollinated with GMO seeds.

I'll save the seeds I have, which hopefully are not contaminated, until the government wises up, listens to the people, and bans the GMO crops.
The government will wise up? I have a bridge for sale...................................................

Reaction score
lol The gov't will not wise up, it's motivated by money. But we can force them to take action or at least force companies to sell only non GMO foods. Why would they make things with GMO foods if people refuse to buy them? Right now it's more expensive to buy non GMO, but if we put enough pressure on, more and more farmers will ditch the GMO seeds, and non GMO will be cheaper. We have to be resolute.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
lol The gov't will not wise up, it's motivated by money. But we can force them to take action or at least force companies to sell only non GMO foods. Why would they make things with GMO foods if people refuse to buy them? Right now it's more expensive to buy non GMO, but if we put enough pressure on, more and more farmers will ditch the GMO seeds, and non GMO will be cheaper. We have to be resolute.
On the news the other day was a report that GMO foods were required to say if it were GMO on the label. Most times it wasn't. We really don't know what we are buying anymore and it is our own fault for electing the morons we now have in office supposedly watching out for us letting Monsanto and their ilk get away with what they are doing. It kind of reminds me of the CDC and Ebola and the rampant incompetence being shown there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b

Ask a Question