Fungus on Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi, I'm pretty new to gardening now that I just moved into this house that actually gives me space to do so. On one of the trees in the lawn, there's some fungus and moss that I don't know how to identify or treat.

Can someone let me know what it is and what steps I should take to try and restore this tree? Or if the tree is even restorable?
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1076.jpg
IMG_1077.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I'm pretty new to gardening now that I just moved into this house that actually gives me space to do so. On one of the trees in the lawn, there's some fungus and moss that I don't know how to identify or treat.

Can someone let me know what it is and what steps I should take to try and restore this tree? Or if the tree is even restorable?View attachment 27828 View attachment 27829 View attachment 27830 View attachment 27832 View attachment 27833
Are there any green leaves on the tree? The long grey stuff hanging onto the tree is Spanish Moss. The stuff on the trunks is a combination of lichens. None of them will actually hurt the tree as they are epiphyts. All they do is add weight to the limbs making them susceptible to wind damage during periods of rain.
The tree looks dead to me as I see no leaves, either alive or dead. I do see sprouts coming up out of the soil. Scratch the trunk and remove the outer layer of bark. If there is no greenish color it is dead. To kill the moss spray with a strong solution of baking soda and water.

Last edited:

Ask a Question