Front perennial bed (I think) is complete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have butterfly bushes and I have the Joe Pye Weed, the later attract more butterflies. So if you have space issue and want butterflies, go with the Joe Pye Weed it is not as pretty but the butterflies love it.
This is the first year planting joe-pye weed. I have five plants scattered about the yard to see where they like it best, and will be adding a few other varieties in the not too distant future. But my first, and primary goal is to help the Monarch's, so all the milk weeds are of great importance in this particular bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Very nice garden, it will be more so when the plants start to fill out. I can see the need to keep going can be hard to resist. Thanks for sharing.
Here is what it now looks like 20 days later. Time to build a new bed.
DSC_0003_zpspaxqsajn.jpg
DSC_0002_zpsfnakjcae.jpg
DSC_0001_zpslhmsxrh5.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a lovely flower bed! I'm sure all your beautiful plants will attract lots and lots of butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds:D Please, post more pictures of those adorable creatures, I'll never get bored with looking at them:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Looks very lush and colorful LIcenture. I love a full garden like yours. I let mine get too overcrowded over the past 2 years by not cutting back so have had to cut back really hard this year. I really don't like it so bare. I actually had to let my eurysium go to plant heaven. It was so woody underneath and flopped right over. I have replaced it though. It is a lovely plant. I have Bowlers Mauve in my cottage garden and a red one, don't know the name, in my red and yellow garden. I did look up "care of eurysium" and it did recommend to replace after a a few years if it gets too woody. I'm going to try to keep this one in check. One other one I've tried to turn into a standard as it got woody but had a single trunk. Don't know whether it will work but worth a try.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have butterfly bushes and I have the Joe Pye Weed, the later attract more butterflies. So if you have space issue and want butterflies, go with the Joe Pye Weed it is not as pretty but the butterflies love it.

I hadn't heard of the Joe Pye Weed so looked it up and I have it, under the name of eupatorium. You learn something new every day!! Sometimes I have a mental block about it's name so I may remember this catchy name a bit easier! I really like it and am happy to know that it attracts bees readily. Now I like it even more! Thanks again Esther for the information. :)I really like my butterfly bushes as well, they do look like dancing butterflies. I've chopped mine back now so have to wait to enjoy them again next season but they really do flower for a long time so I can't complain.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

I have the common Joe Pye weed and the chocolate Joe Pye weed, the colors on the chocolate leaves are on the chocolate side. They will spread by seeds blowing in the wind.

Ask a Question