Ficus Burgundy

Jab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys. My rubber plant's bud is not maturing.. leaves are growing small.. other branch's buds growing long and leaves getting bigger.. what is the reason? How do i fix this?
20230912_151514.jpg
20230912_151509.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's ok. Your Ficus is acclimating to the growing environment. It looks like it could use a little more light. If the soil pulls away from the pot, and you have a gap, you need to water. Lift the pot before watering and then after watering, to get a feel for dry weight and wet weight. When its lightweight, time to water, and if it is heavy wait a few days to water.

Jab

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's ok. Your Ficus is acclimating to the growing environment. It looks like it could use a little more light. If the soil pulls away from the pot, and you have a gap, you need to water. Lift the pot before watering and then after watering, to get a feel for dry weight and wet weight. When its lightweight, time to water, and if it is heavy wait a few days to water.
Its on the east facing window.. my house is full of large windows.. you get so much light.. i water when the soil is dry.. is it because of nutrition deficiency?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its on the east facing window.. my house is full of large windows.. you get so much light.. i water when the soil is dry.. is it because of nutrition deficiency?
No its not a deficiency so don't give it any fertilizer or you will hurt the plant. Give those leaves more time they will grow like the others if given more light. Your plant could use more light that's the reason.

The Rubber Tree needs at least six to eight hours of light daily. This can be lower light at times, but it is best to give this species medium to bright light, preferably bright indirect. Google

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I disagree with oneeye this time :sorry: This plant needs to be fed about every two weeks throughout the growing season, using a liquid feed that is balanced (NPK) and diluted to the instructions on the package. Then the leaves will be encouraged to unfurl.
Otherwise your plant looks nice and healthy. If not sure about which feed to use, ask someone with knowledge for assistance at the garden centre. As an afterthought, during very hot weather, or if the air is dry, spraying your plant with water will help to give the plant more humidity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When a rubber tree needs fertilizer it will show one of two signs. The bottom adult leaves will show a macro deficiency. If the top leaves start turning yellow it means micro deficiency. I don't see that on this plant. The plant above is in a large container and will not need fertilizer for some time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My horticulture specialty is ficus plants because they bring in the most for my livelihood. IF you do a pour thru and catch the runoff you will see if the plant needs fertilizer. Most if not all new potting mixes have a nutrient charge that will last a long time. If you use a soil-less mix like Pro-mix HP or Pro-mix BX the starting charge is only 360 ppm. If the rubber plant is in a one-gallon or #5 pot the small charge will run out and need to be supplemented.

However if one is using an amended potting mix like above, the ppm is in the 4000s and will never need any fertilizer at all. Here's an example, This Mother plant is over 6 years old. I have never used any fertilizer on these rubber plants.

IMG_6433.JPG

IMG_6432.JPG

IMG_6431.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
The mother plant below has been pruned over and over for cuttings. If any of the plants show any changes, I do a pour-thru to catch the runoff and test the EC or ppm. The last time I tested she was still in the 1000s and had no need for any fertilizer at 6 years old. If I give this plant fertilizer every two weeks I would damage the roots from excess salts build up and cause a nutrient lock-out which I have done before. Ficus are low EC plants and giving more EC than needed will cause big problems.

IMG_6429.JPG

IMG_6425.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lastly, these plants have the ability to get nitrogen from soil bacteria in the soil out of the atmosphere. They pretty much run on their own off the soil bacteria. That's another reason not to fertilize large container rubber plants. That's why they do okay without fertilizers.

Can plants capture nitrogen from the air?
Nitrogen gas makes up about 78% of Earth's atmosphere, but like someone dying of thirst while lost at sea, plants are entirely incapable of absorbing it. Bacteria, on the other hand, have mastered the trick of fixing atmospheric nitrogen on multiple occasions. Google

Reaction score
Country
United States
Afraid I disagree with oneeye this time :sorry: This plant needs to be fed about every two weeks throughout the growing season, using a liquid feed that is balanced (NPK) and diluted to the instructions on the package. Then the leaves will be encouraged to unfurl.
Otherwise your plant looks nice and healthy. If not sure about which feed to use, ask someone with knowledge for assistance at the garden centre. As an afterthought, during very hot weather, or if the air is dry, spraying your plant with water will help to give the plant more humidity.
Those people at the garden centers and box stores only want to sell products and do more damage than good. I have checked them over and over by asking pro questions and most don't know what they are talking about. As a matter of fact, they make more sales by giving misleading information that does more harm than good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1694698283874.png
:blackeye: ......@Jab said his/her place is full of light.

Last edited:

Jab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys.. I thought my plant has 3 branches... looks like its 2 different plants. One plant has 2 branches and those leaves are not maturing.. other plant is getting bigger leaves.. should i move it to separate pots?
20230914_200458.jpg
20230914_200517.jpg
20230914_200525.jpg

Reaction score
Country
India
Hey there! It looks like your rubber plant might need some more light. Make sure it's getting indirect sunlight and try rotating it occasionally. Also, don't overwater it – let the soil dry slightly between watering. Good luck! 😊🌿

Ask a Question