New Ficus Triangularis Variegata

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
It’s my first time posting… hope this isn’t a dumb question!! I recently ordered a ficus triangularis which was shipped to me. It had dropped some leaves as expected, but otherwise arrived in good condition. It’s been about a week now, and it continues to shed leaves, which I’ve thus far attributed to the stress of shipping and change in environment. I am currently keeping it in my indoor “greenhouse” (which is really more like a cold frame with grow lights installed) alongside 2 other ficus plants (Lyrata and elastica). My question is how long should I expect the leaf drop to continue while still assuming it’s “normal”? Some of the leaves also have some brown edges/spots, which I assumed was from the cold (it was shipped from Florida to New Jersey, where as you can imaging it’s significantly colder. It was shipped with a heat pack, and my home is obviously heated, but I imagine the journey was not completely free of cold). It’s thankfully a decently sized plant and still has a lot of leaves despite a considerable amount of shedding… just wondering how long I can expect it to adjust vs. if there’s something I’m doing to perpetuate the problem. It gets about 8h under grow lights in a temperature controlled room away from drafts. Soil is kept moist but allowed to drain. I had a considerably smaller triangularis last year that did very well at first, and then one day mysteriously dropped all of its leaves at once and died, so just hoping to stay a little more on top of it this time. It’s such a gorgeous plant and I want it to do well! Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

From your description, it sounds like you are giving the plant good care.
Be sure to directly check the soil and drainage when you water. Is it still in its original container or did it get potted up? The soil it came in, might be different than the potting soil you normally use by either drying or staying wet longer.
If your other Ficus are doing well with the grow lights, the lights are likely bright enough. Do your plants also get some natural light?

For now, just continue to observe and give best. If not done already, consider consider repotting, and inspect the root and soil when you do so. Hopefully the leaf drop will subside.

The Variegated form of Triangle Fig (Ficus natalensis ssp. leprieurii 'Variegata', synonym: Ficus triangularis), also known as Heart-leaf Fig, in the Mulberry family (Moraceae) and native to tropical Africa, is an uncommon and distinctive plant, sometimes grown as a conservatory or house plant in temperate climes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven’t repotted yet, I was worried about changing too many things at once and stressing the plant out more. I’ll try changing the soil this weekend and check out the roots when I do.

All of my Ficus, along with my succulents and a few of my other plants with high light needs, were moved to a cold frame with grow lights to supplement the lower light in my home during the winter. The cabinet they’re in has transparent walls and sits in front of a west facing window, but the majority of their light is likely artificial at the moment. I actually set it up because I’ve had my rubber tree for about a year and it hasn’t put out a single new leaf and I was worried low light was the problem (no new growth over the winter, but staying hopeful!). When the days lengthen a bit more, I’ll probably transition them to our living room which gets the most light in the house from 3 large east-facing windows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like the best situation possible for Winter. Hopefully with the coming of Spring their will be increased growth and vigor. That is often the case, even with house plants.

As long as it is done gently, repotting shouldn't stress the plant much. If the root ball is skimpy you can re-pot back into the same size pot, but usually it is best to pot up to a size one or two inches wider and deeper.

Ask a Question