Fertilizing a new Transplant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks -

We planted an avocado tree in my yard about two months ago. It's a graft that came from my parents tree, which is ancient, huge, super productive, and gives delicious fuerte avocados, so I'm hoping this one grows up to do the same!

My question is, how soon should I start fertilizing this transplant? How long does the shock of moving the tree from the pot to the ground last?

I have some young citrus trees that were showing some yellow leaves, and i began a regimen of romeo water soluble fertilizer, and sometimes fish emulsion, and it made an immediate difference: green leaves, new growth, etc.

Here are some pics of the avocado tree in its new home. I was just wondering about it since the leaves are looking a little yellow. I'd heard advice that it's best to wait to start fertilizing until after the shock of the move has passed.

Thanks!
Geoff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Geoff, I would start fertilising that lovely little tree just as soon as it shows signs of growth, and with the spring season is under way, I think that would probably be now.
It looks very well protected I must say.
Usually, if we plant new trees, we put a handful of fish blood and bone under them when they go in the hole!!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I can't ever recall disagreeing with @Tetters on anything... so I must be wrong and do so with some degree of trepidation o_O ...but I am very cautious about fertilizing newly transplanted trees, as in never do it until the first dormancy period following transplant. This gives the plant time to reestablish root system that won't be burned by the fertilizer, especially synthetic fertilizers.

Forgive me @Tetters ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok @Meadowlark - just this once! It's interesting to me that your view is different and it reminds me that we never know it all when it comes to our favourite pastime :giggle: Would you, as a matter of interest, not use fish blood & bone, or manure at the time of planting a tree or shrub? When it comes to edible stuff, I don't really profess to know anything much :sorry:........ 🥴

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It may be a climate thing. If I were to transplant a fruit tree now and fertilize it with synthetic fertilizers, I guarantee it would be dead as a door nail by July if not sooner.

It has already hit 90 deg F here and temps over 100 deg are not far behind.

Would you, as a matter of interest, not use fish blood & bone, or manure at the time of planting a tree or shrub?
In dormancy yes, I would use it, but transplanted in full on spring growth... generally no, I would not, except for possibly using a well composted manure as a mulch layer in summer to help hold moisture in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks all -

Maybe I'll split the diff and fertilize at half or quarter strength? lol

Are there any resources I can check out on fertilizer "burn"?

@cpp I do use the water soluble stuff - Romeo from four winds growers is what I have right now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it sure has been an entertaining little thread so far - cheers gdgross 😀 Today Meadowlark our temperature in farenheit was about 42 degrees.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Well it sure has been an entertaining little thread so far - cheers gdgross 😀 Today Meadowlark our temperature in farenheit was about 42 degrees.
Currently 79 deg F here and my air conditioner just failed. I'm going outside to the garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently 79 deg F here and my air conditioner just failed. I'm going outside to the garden.
I suppose you want to borrow my sunshade 😣- we've had high wind, hail, rain, and a little glimmer of sun for the odd 5 minutes today. We don't have air conditioning :sorry:

Ask a Question