Energy Prices

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
For years we were on "Economy Seven" for electricity. It produced marginal savings for us as we had the koi pool that used electricity 24/7 and we were still using electricity after midnight for an hour or so as we're always up late.
When I closed the koi pool down I wanted to come off "Economy Seven" but Scottish Power wanted to charge an arm and a leg to change the meters, so I didn't bother. Since then we went to Together Energy, which went bust and we've now been with British Gas for a few months. As prices are due to shortly go up again, I've just signed up for their new fixed tariff, for gas and leccy, it'll mean a hike of about £40 a month on what I'm paying. I'll be paying twice as much a month as I was at this time last year.
I decided I might as well take up their offer of a free smart meter, so I'll be able to come off "Economy Seven." I arranged the installation. When querying about coming off "Economy Seven" the guy on the phone at British Gas said. "You aren't on "Economy Seven."

So I said, "You mean the two meter readings I send you each month just get added together?"

"S'right, you're on the same price for both meters."

So I cancelled the smart meter.
I don't mind reading the meters.

My reluctance to have a smart meter has always been that with this technology, in the future they could start charging you more for your peak hours' consumption.

Try doing that with mechanical meters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For years we were on "Economy Seven" for electricity. It produced marginal savings for us as we had the koi pool that used electricity 24/7 and we were still using electricity after midnight for an hour or so as we're always up late.
When I closed the koi pool down I wanted to come off "Economy Seven" but Scottish Power wanted to charge an arm and a leg to change the meters, so I didn't bother. Since then we went to Together Energy, which went bust and we've now been with British Gas for a few months. As prices are due to shortly go up again, I've just signed up for their new fixed tariff, for gas and leccy, it'll mean a hike of about £40 a month on what I'm paying. I'll be paying twice as much a month as I was at this time last year.
I decided I might as well take up their offer of a free smart meter, so I'll be able to come off "Economy Seven." I arranged the installation. When querying about coming off "Economy Seven" the guy on the phone at British Gas said. "You aren't on "Economy Seven."

So I said, "You mean the two meter readings I send you each month just get added together?"

"S'right, you're on the same price for both meters."

So I cancelled the smart meter.
I don't mind reading the meters.

My reluctance to have a smart meter has always been that with this technology, in the future they could start charging you more for your peak hours' consumption.

Try doing that with mechanical meters.
Here in Texas you have no choice. They came and took the mechanical meter away and replaced it with a smart meter. So far, after about 8 years, I still use the same amount of power, only it just cost a LOT more.

Ask a Question