Elephant garlic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is it the wrong time of year to plant garlic? I want to find a supplier of elephant garlic to raise year round . Where can I get/order some?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I haven't grown Allium ampeloprasum (hard neck) garlic rather I grow soft neck in my zone. I plant just like onions in fall and harvest the following summer.

If you can do that, i.e., plant in fall in your zone you will get larger bulbs at harvest than planting now.

Gurneys, among others, offers Elephant garlic.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ideally it's best to plant in November to get good root growth but I just put a sprouting clove in a pot under cover so the roots have a chance to catch up with the ones I planted out in the autumn.

You'll get a bulb if you plant now but it might not be as big.

There is a variety available here that is specifically bred to plant out in February, one of the Solent Wight ones :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Not specifically what you're asking, but just in case you've never tried elephant garlic...

I grew it last year. Had no problems at all with it (Scotland, UK climate). I love how it looks, but I was hugely disappointed by the taste. Its not like garlic at all. I disliked it so much I threw it away. If you've never tried it before see if you can get hold of some to taste it prior to giving it precious garden space!

Ask a Question