Advice on elephant ear bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last summer I was gifted some very large (cantelope size) elephant ear bulbs (Colocasia esculenta). They grew very well and in the fall, I brought the bulbs in for the winter. I live in Northern Ohio which gets quite cold during the winter.

I kept the bulbs in a cool, dry spot and they seemed to be ok. I checked them all today (there's 5) and they each have a spot or two that's soft. I understand about rot and such but my question is, can I scrape out the bad, soft spots so that the unspoiled part of the bulb can air out?

Overall, the bulbs are firm and look good but it's just a couple of spots that are a little soft.

Thank you,
Craig

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Dont bother, just plant them. That necrotic area will be cleansed by soil biology in a far less brutal way underground. Next year you can cleanse them and use an antifungal rinse, then store them on something airy like pine straw or sphagnum moss both of which tend to be a bit antiseptic.

Last edited:

Ask a Question