Drought

Reaction score
I am from the lovely, HOT, Southern part of the US and I am wondering which plants work best with little water. I obviously would water them when needed, but in Oklahoma we go through several droughts, and often water rationing during the 100+ degree temp days. I have a small area in out front yard where we have a fairly large tree. I would like to plant something around the tree giving it a little more pizazz. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
In Arkansas i feel your 100 deg days
i am a waterer but my south facing house gets a lot of annual periwinkle flowers,they come in a few nice colors and can take the heat real well . Go strong till frost

Reaction score
You could try the blanket flower, yarrow, lavender, Mojave sage etc.. Periwinkle as Dr case mentioned is excellent. Someone had sold off their home and the driveway was awash with bright colored periwinkle flowers even after two months of neglect and summer sun. You should check out the purple cone flower too.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
A few plants that do well in the desert may also do well in your area during the drought:
Sky Lupine
California Poppy
Golden Yarrow

Are a few you can consider.

Ask a Question