My drought tolerant grass replacement:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm new around here but thought I would show off something I like about our landscaping...rather than just showing issues;).

This is the an area in the front of our house where we previously had grass. We decided not to replace the grass that was torn up by the building of our pool. We planted these plants and they have flourished so much. They are watered with a drip system.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 307
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I was attracted by the thread title. Since drought was predicted by the weather bureau, we are conscious of the upcoming dry weather since we have to water our garden. Poor plants if there is drought and no water for irrigation. That grass which is tolerant of droughts is a good one for the lawns. At least there will be ground covering so the heat of the dry season will not be magnified.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Looks great! The plants look very natural there - are they natives, or something? I like how "fuzzy" one of the plants looks!

I definitely think it's more eye catching than plain old grass would have been!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree with Beth_B, it looks much prettier than a boring, regular lawn. The area in the front of your house is really beautiful:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I was attracted by the thread title. Since drought was predicted by the weather bureau, we are conscious of the upcoming dry weather since we have to water our garden. Poor plants if there is drought and no water for irrigation. That grass which is tolerant of droughts is a good one for the lawns. At least there will be ground covering so the heat of the dry season will not be magnified.

Even with our crazy long drought... We can still water with drip which is nice. Everything we chose for that area though tolerates little water which is great. I should post a photo of how it looked the first day when they planted it around Labor Day and how it looks now. I'm so surprised by how much it has grown:).

Watering our lawns just twice a week in our heat has left our neighborhood looking quite brown. We have been told that lawns take up even more water than pools so they are encouraging everyone to get rid of some grass.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looks great! The plants look very natural there - are they natives, or something? I like how "fuzzy" one of the plants looks!

I definitely think it's more eye catching than plain old grass would have been!

My favorite plant in the bunch is the green bush with the purple flowers. It is called eremophila summertime blue. It is a hybrid plant apparently and very hard to find...I wanted to get more after the initial purchase but haven't been able to get any more yet. They can grow quite large but I am going to see how they do if I try to keep them a little smaller than usual. Should be an interesting experiment;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks all for the kind words. I have spent so much time learning about all the cool drought tolerant plans that will still bring color and texture to my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Even with our crazy long drought... We can still water with drip which is nice. Everything we chose for that area though tolerates little water which is great. I should post a photo of how it looked the first day when they planted it around Labor Day and how it looks now. I'm so surprised by how much it has grown:).

Watering our lawns just twice a week in our heat has left our neighborhood looking quite brown. We have been told that lawns take up even more water than pools so they are encouraging everyone to get rid of some grass.

Good for you. (y) I'm in Michigan now, where I can go an entire growing season without watering sometimes because we get plenty of rain, but I used to live in Colorado which is a very, very arid state...anyone knowledgeable there concentrates on native and drought-tolerant plants. But no matter where one lives, I think putting in landscaping and plants that are native and easily adaptable to local conditions makes sense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines

I also heard that volume of water needed by the grass. That's why when there is a drought, media is criticizing golf courses. But since golfers are the rich and the mighty, they cannot do anything about it. As with the lawn, I'm surprised that your grass can survive in twice a week watering. The grass here turns to brown when not watered for 2 days and on the 3rd day they will perish. Like now that there is no more rain and the heat is getting to be extreme, we water the garden twice a day, that includes the grass.

Ask a Question