Do you water in the morning or at night?

Reaction score
I water my plants at night since I live in a region where it's mostly hot and humid half of the year. Watering the plants in the morning can be wasteful due to the impending evaporation right after the watering activity. At night, it's cooler bother for the plants and myself. I also wake up late in the morning anyway. When I was a teen, my mom also assigned the watering chore to me which I also do at night. I took my cue from that routine.

Reaction score
I start work early so I water in the morning. This makes it so the soil is still wet by mid-afternoon and can cool the plants in the hottest part of the day.

And to prevent leaf burn I either water early enough that by the time the sun hits there isn't any beaded water on the leaves or I just rustle the plants to knock off as much water as possible.

Reaction score
I usually opt for watering my plants in the morning after I am through with tidying the house; i tend to forget to water them at nights as i've so much to tend to then.

Reaction score
When I water or do anything with my garden it is always at night when the sun goes to sleep, I have had problems in the past when I was very new to gardening that if you water them during the day, the water actually burns the plants due to the water evaporating too fast or something. So I would rather just water them at night. Also during the day all the insects that are used for pollinating are out and I would rather not discourage them from doing their job by spraying them with water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I have done both, but I try to water the garden about an hour or so after the sun goes down a little. I don't water the plants in the heat of the day as I have heard that it can cause leaf burn if the sun is shining on them.

Some people have told me that it is better to water them in the morning and then others have told me that it is better to water them at night. Does it make a big difference or should we just water them when they need it?

When I water them in the morning I make sure it is at least an hour before the sun will be shining.
I water in the morning but I run a drip system and black plastic.
My theory is this.........
The water cools the soil. Never really temped it but I can feel it.
If I water at night , or evening , the black plastic has no time to heat the soil or roots. And I'm not talking about jimmy Fallon's band.
If I water first thing in the morning , my plants are soaked and the black plastic has a real chance of doing its job. From noon till sunset , the plastic cooks the dirt , holding heat all night I presume.
Hope that little theroy works.
It works for me.
I would also like to add , if your not using drip ?
Why not. It's crazy wonderfull.
And simple.

Reaction score
Eh I think you can water your plants any time of the day just do it consistently so you won't forget to water them in the long run. I water my plants every other day usually starting on Monday mornings before I get a cup of coffee. It's great I have time to look over them in direct sunlight. I'm not really a night person anyway I can't focus on anything at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
For our vegetables, we water it in the early morning and late afternoon during summer when it is really hot otherwise just the morning irrigation is enough. Watering the plants at night is not recommended for the wet ground becomes a breeding area for parasites particularly small bugs and slugs. That is the problem during the rainy season like now when the ground is always wet so the pests abound. We have to trim the grass to prevent heavy infestation of insect nests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I have done both, but I try to water the garden about an hour or so after the sun goes down a little. I don't water the plants in the heat of the day as I have heard that it can cause leaf burn if the sun is shining on them.

Some people have told me that it is better to water them in the morning and then others have told me that it is better to water them at night. Does it make a big difference or should we just water them when they need it?

When I water them in the morning I make sure it is at least an hour before the sun will be shining.
I do morning. But I have a drip system with black plastic on all my rows.
The water is pretty cold. Soooooooooo i just run it a bit in the morning. Then the plastic has a chance to heat the dirt for the rest of the night.

If your not running drip on every row with plastic , you should consider it.
The glory is ,
Well ,
Glorious

Reaction score
I usually water the plants between 5 to 6 in the morning. I learned that it gives the plant just enough time to absorb water. When you water when the sun is up, most of it evaporates so the plant hardly gets any of it. When I get too busy in the morning, my second option is to water them at night but at a smaller amount.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I prefer to water at night because the weather here is so unpredictable and I hate watering then it starts raining a few hours after, so I do it at night, also I have no outside faucet and need my husbands help to get enough water for watering.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I prefer watering at night. They days have been so hot that if I water in the morning most of the water will evaporate and very little will go to the actual plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I usually water, late evening, less evaporation. Though in really hot weather, I'll turn on the leaky hose system that waters the borders for a few hours during the day and give our acer palmatums a "mist spray" around 2.00pm if I'm at home.

Ask a Question