Do you provide water for the winter wildlife?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
BTW the house my "one" feral female cat lives in, just off to the side of the deck, I had an Amish man make it for me. Saw how he could build dog houses and rabbit houses, so we combined the two, it has two doors, for ease of escape should a night creature come around, walls are thick about 3 inches. It is up on legs to meet the same level of the deck. But, its getting old, about 8 years now. Going to have to get a new one for next winter. My neighbor likes to build things out of wood, and he is retired, might ask him if he can, then draw out what I want. She the cat is the last hold out that will not come inside. Even her mother comes in side and uses the cat door well. Anyway, in the cat house is an adult heating pad, plugged into an outdoor extension cord so its out of the way of being exposed to weather etc.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't use these new fangled things :whistle:. I'm a confirmed Luddite (y) :ROFLMAO:
Well good Bootsy you have decided to use your computer to post on this site.

I read those two posts, and immediately thought of our Amish! Reading your next post, Esther, I see you did, too! :LOL:

Can I bother you to update your profile? :)

@DirtMechanic, I see your new signature line! Thank you! :)
" Zone 8a, Alabama, Home of "Air you can Wear!" "

Air you can Wear? That humidity that wraps you up in a warm, wet blanket every time you step outside? (We get that in the summer...(n).)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bootsy, how nice to have a fellow Luddite on the forum! I have to admit my non-use of many mechanical or new-fangled things is more of an inability to operate them than a distaste for new inventions. I do think that this ball point pen creation just might catch on . . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@MaryMary you are welcome. And please, take all the humidity with you that you would care to, but please leave the warm.

As to Ludditary commentaries, it is at this point that I like to show my age by pointing out that your cell phones do more than the communicator Captain Kirk of Star Trek fame would use, and probably nearly as much as Mr Spock's tricorder device, just so you can gauge your progresses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't use these new fangled things :whistle:. I'm a confirmed Luddite (y) :ROFLMAO: (A term from English history back in 1811 when I was a lad :D)

I had to look that word up, @Bootsy. I don't think I've ever heard it used before.

Lud·dite
ˈlədˌīt/
noun
noun: Luddite; plural noun: Luddites
  1. a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).
    • a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.
      "a small-minded Luddite resisting progress"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@MaryMary you are welcome. And please, take all the humidity with you that you would care to, but please leave the warm.

As to Ludditary commentaries, it is at this point that I like to show my age by pointing out that your cell phones do more than the communicator Captain Kirk of Star Trek fame would use, and probably nearly as much as Mr Spock's tricorder device, just so you can gauge your progresses.

Not only that, but today's cell phones have more computing power than the lunar lander in 1969. Imagine that! o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have to admit my non-use of many mechanical or new-fangled things is more of an inability to operate them than a distaste for new inventions.

I'm not quite the same. It's just that I'm happy with using only what I think I need and not what other people/manufacturers tell me I need. My computer is 12 - 15 years old (can't remember which) and I only upgrade it when I fell it needs it. I've increased the memory, put another hard drive in and added a DVD drive and two new fans. Couldn't see any point in buying a new computer. (y)

I like to show my age by pointing out that your cell phones do more than the communicator Captain Kirk of Star Trek fame would use,

I don't have a cell phone. I manage perfectly well with a landline and when I'm out I don't want anyone contacting me. I also travel all over the world (58 countries in the last ten years) and never found a need for a cell phone. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If I didn't need it for my biz, I wouldn't own a cell phone. Hate them. I know people who think I'm rude if my phone rings, and I don't answer it right away...even though I may be in a "in-person" conversation with someone else at the time. A good computer is a different thing. I like having all the knowledge of the world at my finger tips.

That's a lot of traveling, @Bootsy! Pleasure or work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, 58 countries are a lot to get to. But keep in mind as @Bootsy lives already in England, she can count the "countries " really close to her. As the same distance as our USA States are to us. @MoonShadows . I am on a cooking forum, where lots of my UK friends will just pop down to France, so from the UK to France its like going to Florida for us. If you take all of UK it does not even cover the size of our long California. Over here, in the USA, we count how many states we visit, then countries are outside of the USA.

Had to look it up. was wrong in my judgement. miles from England to France is 608 miles, or a 10 hour drive. That is like for me to leave my house in PA and go to the west edge of the next state over which is Ohio. wow, France is closer than I thought to England.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And please, take all the humidity with you that you would care to, but please leave the warm.

:eek: Oh no!! Thank you for your offer, but I like to breathe air, not bathe in it!! o_O You can keep the warm, too. I can't sit in a sauna for longer than 5 minutes without thinking that someone has put me in the Brazen Bull. :eek: :eek:

I know people who think I'm rude if my phone rings, and I don't answer it right away.

Doesn't that drive you crazy? Why, I remember,
Lawn.gif
back when everyone started getting answering machines, my friends took me to task for not having one. Look, it's this easy - if I'm not home... you can't talk to me! :rolleyes: Cell phones have just amplified that. "You have a cell phone, why didn't you answer?!?" (Maybe because I am not at your beck and call?) And worse, they think I'm the one that's rude!!

Over here, in the USA, we count how many states we visit, then countries are outside of the USA.

:D 44, plus Mexico and Canada. ;)

P.S. - I think Bootsy is a "he." ;)

Ask a Question