Do You Forget To Water Your Plants? Try a Diaper for Your Plants to Keep Them Watered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I did not know about this. LOL interesting idea. Thanks for posting this video. I usually use gel beads for my plants I was not aware of this idea. I'll have to remember this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That was kind of my thought as well- you want the plants to benefit from the water, not the diaper! lol. It is an interesting idea, though, and I'm always up for clever solutions to things...maybe it could be useful in some other application.

Well, Jessi, I guess you could put the diapers in your shoes to prevent moisture and the growth of yeast. People who are prone to athlete's foot could definitely benefit from that! Silica gel can absorb quite a lot of moisture so it's probably best to use diapers as diapers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, Jessi, I guess you could put the diapers in your shoes to prevent moisture and the growth of yeast. People who are prone to athlete's foot could definitely benefit from that! Silica gel can absorb quite a lot of moisture so it's probably best to use diapers as diapers.

Haha Chanel, I was mostly being kind- though who knows, most things do have the potential for some out of the box "creative" applications. But yes, I'm in agreement with you in that diapers are probably already in their best niche ;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The idea of taking a diaper apart and using it to help keep your plants watered is a new one to me. This video is very interesting, shows you how to use the crystals in your plants indoors and outdoors.

http://youtu.be/sXb8rJ8Rm3I

That is so cool and amazing idea to cut down on watering, as well as making the soil better. However, after I read the comments from below, I am lost :) with such negative reviews. I am now debating whether to try it or not!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've never been bad about watering so this is kinda moot point for me. Very interesting though. My concern would be the stuff that's in the diapers affecting the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like using either a self watering system that I posted in here about. Basically you make it out of plastic tubs and soda bottles. Pretty cool. I also like using gels when able.

Reaction score
Ever so often I use a small plate under my herbs and flowers that is full of water so they can have a little hydration when I forget about them. But the way you wrote "diaper" got my thinking using wet kitchen towel instead.

Or using a self watering pot :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm.... I don't know if I would have the guts to use those hydro absorbing materials in a diapers in my soil. Nope not just not happening. When I grow I try to keep everything as organic as possible. Interesting and creative idea though.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is the first time am getting to know about the idea. It can work since the diaper can hold a reasonable amount of water for a long time. That can really help whenever you are travelling and you expect to be away for sometime, not only when you are forgetful. It will also help in keeping your plants cool.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Several years ago I bought these self watering glass bulbs. Basically they are a long tube with a glass ball at the end, you fill up the glass with water and turn it upside down in the dirt of a plant. It will release water slowly and waters the plant. I use this all the time when I’m not going to be home for a few days so my plants aren’t dead when I return. Here is an example :

http://www.amazon.com/Watering-Globes-Large-4pc-Deluxe/dp/B00CSXG6QE

Ask a Question