Desert Museum Palo Verde branch has turned brown

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted this desert museum, Palo Verde, about six or seven years ago. It was quite small. It is grown quite large. I have not given it a lot of water maybe in the beginning a bit more.During a severe windstorm it split, but we were able to save it and it was fine for the last five years until now today I looked at it and half of it is brown the half that did split five years ago.
If anyone can offer help I’d sure appreciate it we love our tree.
I live in Van Nuys, Lake Balboa Ca.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpeg
    IMG_0654.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0658.jpeg
    IMG_0658.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Wildflower1962 I had never heard of this tree before, so I did a bit of reading about it. It is obviously rather an important tree for many reasons, and is a really good support for creatures and people alike. I read too that it plays a part as a nursemaid for small cactus varieties. It is certainly sad to see that it was damaged.
I think that, as with any other tree or shrub, in the event of one part of the tree dying, I would cut this off entirely and concentrate on supporting the part that survives it. With care, and enough extra support it will probably be able to keep growing. I do hope so, and wish you luck with it.

1682190588170.png
This is how they would do it in Japan!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums @Wildflower1962 I had never heard of this tree before, so I did a bit of reading about it. It is obviously rather an important tree for many reasons, and is a really good support for creatures and people alike. I read too that it plays a part as a nursemaid for small cactus varieties. It is certainly sad to see that it was damaged.
I think that, as with any other tree or shrub, in the event of one part of the tree dying, I would cut this off entirely and concentrate on supporting the part that survives it. With care, and enough extra support it will probably be able to keep growing. I do hope so, and wish you luck with it.

View attachment 95627 This is how they would do it in Japan!
Thank for taking the time to look it up and respond.
I guess I will have to cut 1/3 of the tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will be better than losing all of it. I would love to see how you get on with it. Please would you mind keeping us posted. My fingers are crossed. Trees are so important :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks like a brilliant tree :)

It may be that a fungus has got it, wouldn't hurt to treat any new cuts with a copper based fungicide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A
This will be better than losing all of it. I would love to see how you get on with it. Please would you mind keeping us posted. My fingers are crossed. Trees are so important :)
Thank you it really split in a windstorm years ago and we thought we had saved it. Even the other 2/3rds should be lovely.
I’ll post an older picture when it was in bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 12

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's a very useful and lovely tree :cool: