Deditos?

Reaction score
Hi all! It's me again... been a while since the last time I come to this section ;) Today I want to show you a plant we all know as ''deditos'', that's the only way we know it actually. I'm 100% sure this plant is a succulent. Please take a look:

sedum-pachyphyllum-2.jpg

Reaction score
Yes you are 100% correct Trellum your little plant is a succulent :)

It is a Sedum Pachyphyllum which is commonly known as the 'Many Fingers' or 'Jelly Bean' plant. is a low growing, drought tolerant succulent, that has little cup shaped yellow or blue flowers off and on throughout the year, and is grown all over the Mediterranean and Mexico, as either a garden or indoor plant

Reaction score
Ow, here ''deditos// means ''little fingers'', it does look like little fingers :p I wasn't very successful with this one when I was younger, so I haven't managed to actually see a blossoming one!!! It must be amazing, specially the ones of the blue variety! Do you really think this would do well indoors? Maybe with lots of sunlight..

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I like the Latin name, pachyphyllum, meaning Thick Leaved, it is that for sure :D

Reaction score
Trellum

Yes these little plants are super easy to grow indoors and outdoors, they're quite forgiving and will put up with quite alot, but they really don't like, too much TLC :D in fact caring for and propagating them is almost identical to your Mesembryanthemums that we identified a while back.
As you can imagine, there are as usual many, many varieties of Sedum Pachyphyllums all with differing bluish tones to their leaves and some even having red tips, and as you haven't seen one in flower, thought you might enjoy seeing what yours would look like in flower. :)

Sedum pachyphyllum 3.jpg

Zigs - yes, the Latin name is good isn't, but can't honestly be 100% sure, that it means 'thick leaved' though.:D
But have to say great fun could be had with these little Sedums, as many of them have some very funny names, like Sedum Rubrotinctum is commonly known as ' the pork and beans' plant:) try picturing that one:LOL:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D Pachy, as in Pachyderm & Phyllum from Greek Phyllon- leaf :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had to look Phyllum up as I was getting confused with Phylum which is completely different :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Little fingers is a very cute name! Or very creepy, depends on how you look at it, lol:p
Anyway, I think that I've seen a plant like this before, it's possible that my mother grew it in the past, I'm not sure. As far as I know, succulents are easy to grow and don't need anything special:)

Reaction score
I worked at a home improvement store that would get these plants seasonally. They are very sturdy and popular. The flowers look very lovely when they are in bloom.

Reaction score
Trellum

Yes these little plants are super easy to grow indoors and outdoors, they're quite forgiving and will put up with quite alot, but they really don't like, too much TLC :D in fact caring for and propagating them is almost identical to your Mesembryanthemums that we identified a while back.
As you can imagine, there are as usual many, many varieties of Sedum Pachyphyllums all with differing bluish tones to their leaves and some even having red tips, and as you haven't seen one in flower, thought you might enjoy seeing what yours would look like in flower. :)

View attachment 1265

Zigs - yes, the Latin name is good isn't, but can't honestly be 100% sure, that it means 'thick leaved' though.:D
But have to say great fun could be had with these little Sedums, as many of them have some very funny names, like Sedum Rubrotinctum is commonly known as ' the pork and beans' plant:) try picturing that one:LOL:

OMG!!!!!!! They look sooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't imagine what the blue ones must look like!!!!! They look so irreal, I had no idea this plant could produce such a beautiful bunch of tiny, yet elegant flowers!!!! Seriously, amazing picture!!! Thanks for sharing, Gata :)

Reaction score
Little fingers is a very cute name! Or very creepy, depends on how you look at it, lol:p
Anyway, I think that I've seen a plant like this before, it's possible that my mother grew it in the past, I'm not sure. As far as I know, succulents are easy to grow and don't need anything special:)

I love succulents, they're sturdy, but you better don't over water them. I had a plant like this one and it died :p That was when I was very young, unexperienced and careless tho :p I might get one in the Netherlands... I might end up working at one of the biggest plant markets in the world (near Amsterdam).

Reaction score
I worked at a home improvement store that would get these plants seasonally. They are very sturdy and popular. The flowers look very lovely when they are in bloom.

You're so lucky to have seen those blossoming :) So far I haven't been that lucky... yet. I plan to get a plant like this when I move, luckily enough I will see it blooming after a while :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love succulents, they're sturdy, but you better don't over water them. I had a plant like this one and it died :p That was when I was very young, unexperienced and careless tho :p I might get one in the Netherlands... I might end up working at one of the biggest plant markets in the world (near Amsterdam).
I once overwatered my cactus, I thought that it needs as much water as other plants, haha:p
Working at a plant market sounds wonderful!:D I would love to do it too. As for Amsterdam, I've never been there, but from what I've seen in pictures, it looks almost like Venice and it's a beautiful city:D

Reaction score
Trellum

Your welcome - glad you liked the picture.
Forgot to say, if you are growing yours indoors, you will need to put in on a sunny window sill, and that although these little Sedums are now grown all over the world, they flower for longer and more profusely in your Country and the Mediterranean.
Its hard enough to find pictures of these little Sedums as it is, but the blueish ones are even harder, as there are less of those plants around, I will however, keep a lookout for one. Oh by the way, by little blue flowers, I should probably have said reddish, purpley blue flowers - which would have been more accurate :D

Staff online

• zigs
    Cactus Grower, Kent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia2322

Latest Threads