Daffodils Under Pine Trees. Partial Shade - Zone 10a

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We're thinking of growing some daffodils this year. The areas we have available are under a mixture of pines, palms and eucalyptus. The area to be planted receives sun, and is rather dry, on a downward facing slope - soil tends to be clayish.

Will they grow and bloom in this location?

We're located in Zone 10a (Los Angeles), which can start getting quite warm in late Spring early Summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
the lower branches of the pine tree could be in the way of the height of the Daffs. And the soil may not make the happy. Also they like a good freeze over, over the winter. So my opinion. try another flower.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
the lower branches of the pine tree could be in the way of the height of the Daffs. And the soil may not make the happy. Also they like a good freeze over, over the winter. So my opinion. try another flower.
Lower pine branches are not a concern, they are few and much higher up in the canopy.
We grew these quite well in our previous location along the beach coast - same zone. What I do remember is waiting till February to plant them. Not sure if planting them earlier this year will make much of a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have bulbs that grow every year in the middle of a ring of five pine trees. The soil is bad too but they still appear.

Sorry, I don't have a closer shot but you can see the pines at the far end of the excuse for a lawn. :)

045.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can plant them now through February. As Esther mentioned, many varieties don’t come back after a few years. If you visit Descanso Gardens in the spring you can see a bunch of varieties that DO come back. King Alfred types are the least likely to perennialize.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You can plant them now through February. As Esther mentioned, many varieties don’t come back after a few years. If you visit Descanso Gardens in the spring you can see a bunch of varieties that DO come back. King Alfred types are the least likely to perennialize.
Appreciate the helpful information. :)

Ask a Question